• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK House Prices Hit All Time High of £247,000

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusingly, the average house price is also £170K, according to a different survey.

We just need to make the use of the term "ladder" a crime. Call it "house price tight rope", or anything else to discourage the seemingly inevitable panic fuelled boom.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
      There is a lot of social housing in london, if residents were offered to give up their 2 bedroom flat for a 3-bedroom semi up north I am sure many would take up the offer.
      You obviously haven't been listening to the news in the past year - "Bedroom tax".

Everyone in social housing wants as small a place as possible.

In addition a lot of people still in social housing in London and the SE work in the local area - or where do you think our postman, cleaners, hospital porters etc live?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Confusingly, the average house price is also £170K, according to a different survey.

We just need to make the use of the term "ladder" a crime. Call it "house price tight rope", or anything else to discourage the seemingly inevitable panic fuelled boom.
        I call it a debt ladder, for this reason I am out.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          One survey must be using the mean and the other the median.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            - or where do you think our postman, cleaners, hospital porters etc live?
            Don't worry. I have a feeling the postal service shall be increasing it's prices shortly to compensate.

Londoners will have to start cleaning their own homes. This could get ugly.

Hospitals will soon be all private anyway, porters will soon become Environmental Control Officers, ECV for short on £100k
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You obviously haven't been listening to the news in the past year - "Bedroom tax".

In addition a lot of people still in social housing in London and the SE work in the local area - or where do you think our postman, cleaners, hospital porters etc live?
              I am not saying everyone, but i know a few people who are in council flats in london (Angel) who would love to move out of London. The girl I am referring to is in her situation for reason not of her own making, she has 2 wonderful children who are are forced to share a bedroom, she struggles to further her career as if she can't afford to take an entry level job as she would lose her housing benefit and have to pay £296pw rent. The area is very middle-class, the majority of private residents send their children to private schools as the local comprehensives are well below national average.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
                The Guardian

This really is not a good thing at all.
                That link is to the Torygraph.

And that page has been deleted, so I don't know where that figure comes from. Seems very high for the whole UK.

Otherwise I agree, the Guardian really is not a good thing at all.

Comment

the bedroom tax spare room subsidy and the benefits cap.

Both good initiatives if implemented correctly.

Unfortunately the councils dug their heels in and cut everyone's benefits for their spare room without any mercy to make an example of the government.

You realise the 'Bedroom tax' is actually an extension of a 2008 New Lie policy applied to those in subsidised private tenancies? So if you get a council or social house and pay £80-£100 a week for a 3 bedroom house and have a spare bedroom you have to pay the extra £10-£20 yourself?

If you have a private tenancy and have a spare bedroom you have to pay the extra £60-£80 yourself thanks to New Lie?

The real problem is that outside the south east there aren't enough jobs. If created some then people would want to move.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
                    There is a lot of social housing in london, if residents were offered to give up their 2 bedroom flat for a 3-bedroom semi up north I am sure many would take up the offer.
                    What about employment?

There are plenty of people who live in the North and commute to the South for work. The motorways and railways are heading towards gridlock!

Comment

Housing boom and retail are the only things keeping the economy afloat. Well, that and QE.

Comment

Working...
                      X