• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK House Prices Hit All Time High of £247,000

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK House Prices Hit All Time High of £247,000

The Guardian

This really is not a good thing at all.

I presume a lot of this is due to all the foreign investment in London where investors from club med countries have seen uk bricks and mortar as a safe investment.

Spare a thought for anyone young trying to get a foot on the ladder.

We need more houses built but we don't want our countryside being concreted over.

Here's my solution: all those empty premises on uk high streets - do something with them. We are constantly being told that the high street is in its death throes anyhow...

move business and jobs across the UK.

Stop people sitting on housing hoping to build on it etc.

Have fewer new people.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post

Here's my solution: all those empty premises on uk high streets - do something with them. We are constantly being told that the high street is in its death throes anyhow...
      WHS; I lived in a flat above a shop when I was a student and it was really a very nice place to live. Although perhaps the neighbours didn't appreciate it all the time.

Here in NL there's loads of empty office space built in the speculative boom of the 90s and early 2000s and just this week the gov have come up with the genius idea of relaxing planning rules so that some of it can be converted into residential space. Trouble is, a lot of it's owned by pension companies who have to cut the book value if they cut the rent, hence making some of them theoretically insolvent.

What a mess.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

We could just spread the population more around the UK, it's population density in specific areas not overall population in the uk
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Set lower taxes for those who live up North.

Sorteed.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            We could just spread the population more around the UK, it's population density in specific areas not overall population in the uk
            That sounds a bit like social engineering and I don't really think it works well.

Comment

Not in Edinburgh they have not, particularly the next one up for the first time buyer, like my place is.

In fact, as I understand it, the value of our flat is still below 2007 prices.

Elsewhere in the country it's rather amazing, it's like the credit crunch never happened. Why something is not being done to arrest price growth like in London & suburbs is beyond me. Annual 10% increases can not end well.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                That sounds a bit like social engineering and I don't really think it works well.
                Incentivise companies and the public sector to move out of the south east, what are the alternatives ?
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                  Incentivise companies and the public sector to move out of the south east, what are the alternatives ?
                  Public sector's spread all over the place AFAIK. As for companies, there's been a lot of that in the past.

Reminds me of Not the Nine O'Clock News, which perhaps makes me an

Failed in Wales - Not The 9 O'clock News - YouTube

Comment

There is a lot of social housing in london, if residents were offered to give up their 2 bedroom flat for a 3-bedroom semi up north I am sure many would take up the offer.

Comment

Working...
                    X