Well I never knew that. Well I never knew that.
Posts 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    More fingers than teeth

    zeitghost is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,885

    Default Well I never knew that.

    The Welsh word for ladder is the same as the word for skool.

    Isn't that a bit confusing, like?

    Both words are "ysgol".



    So ladder skool is "ysgol ysgol" or some such.


  2. #2

    Godlike

    Doggy Styles is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,818

    Default

    The English word for those living west of Offa's dyke is the same as the word for reneging on a deal.

    I don't know why.

    PS I'm not talking about Lizardish.

  3. #3

    Super poster

    amcdonald is too good to be a permie

    amcdonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down the pub
    Posts
    3,090

    Default

    Also some words the tense of that word changes depending on the context, but the word itself doesn't
    Doing the needful since 1827

  4. #4

    Godlike

    barrydidit is a fount of knowledge

    barrydidit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    at the end of my tether
    Posts
    7,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost View Post
    The Welsh word for ladder is the same as the word for skool.
    That's actually cleared up a mystery that's faintly bugged me for the past 5 years: why does the 'Y' on the little ones Welsh alphabet freize say Ysgol and have a picture of a ladder.

    Top work, zeity!

  5. #5

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    21,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost View Post
    The Welsh word for ladder is the same as the word for skool.

    Isn't that a bit confusing, like?

    Both words are "ysgol".



    So ladder skool is "ysgol ysgol" or some such.

    If your local authority divorced your school and then remarried another school, it could get very confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  6. #6

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Dactylion 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North of Watford
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    The English word for those living west of Offa's dyke is the same as the word for reneging on a deal.

    I don't know why.

    PS I'm not talking about Lizardish.
    I always thought there was a difference between welch and welsh?

    But I wouldn't want to argue the point.

  7. #7

    The beerded one

    EternalOptimist is NOT a disguised employee

    EternalOptimist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Castle Saburac
    Posts
    22,442

    Default

    I used to go out with this Welsh bird right ?

    One day , she only climbs up the ladder at school and ladders her tights, doesnt she ?
    So she comes home, goes straight to the larder to get bladdered, but the lad who used to get the ladies drinkies had been laid off
    so the bird tries to type a letter of complaint, but she cant, why ? because there no y on the bloody keyboard , thats

    stoopid welshies


    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

  8. #8

    Contractor Among Contractors

    bless 'em all has no reputation


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I used to go out with this Welsh bird right ?

    One day , she only climbs up the ladder at school and ladders her tights, doesnt she ?
    So she comes home, goes straight to the larder to get bladdered, but the lad who used to get the ladies drinkies had been laid off
    so the bird tries to type a letter of complaint, but she cant, why ? because there no y on the bloody keyboard , thats

    stoopid welshies


    Mae dy fam yn llyfu cociau mul

  9. #9

    More time posting than coding

    garethevans1986 is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Mae dy fam yn llyfu cociau mul
    lol (and yes I understood it).

    In North Wales a ladder is an "ysdol" not an "ysgol".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •