• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily car commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 mins off peak

45 mins peak.

Comment

Depends, also, on how you wangle your hours. A trip from Bridgwater to Gloucester takes an hour leaving at 6, but a lot longer, leaving at 7. Coming back the same; leave at 3, you're back among the family as they return from school, leave after 5 and you'll not be back before the kids bath time. It can impact the day an awful lot. So get flexi working, and you bring other places into scope.

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy View Post
        A trip from Bridgwater to Gloucester takes an hour leaving at 6
        Do you often travel to Bridgwater, the one just off the M4?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Do you often travel to Bridgwater, the one just off the M4?
          It's off the M5 and I used to a lot.

Comment

Leeds - Farnborough, weekly, never less than 4.5 hrs, frequently 6 hrs plus, every junction on M1 - '40mph, Queue after Junction'...

Worst ever for me - since M25 is involved and it stresses me out - had Leeds - Swansea last year, 4.5hrs but it was 4.5hrs and the M50/Heads of the Valleys usually quite pleasant, so one arrived quite chilled out and ready for some pintage in the Uplands Tavern and some easy money and cracking rates at the DVLA in Morriston.

Oddly enough I moved to Leeds from Manchester as I had a long termer there and Manchester is a contracting dead hole generally - since then - not a sniff of a role locally...

Still Leeds is a lot nicer than Scumchester, and I;m a Lancastrian...

Comment

I don't count the long haul ones which you could never do daily as commutes, I drew the line at even a weekly commute to Gosport (280 miles each way) and did that every 2 weeks.
              Assuming things go to plan I'll be trudging off to near Bath on a weekly/bi-weekly basis very soon, I'll decide how often I come home after I've done the trip a few times.

Comment

For my first contract I was driving 1 hr 45 mins each way, but it was before I had kids, and I couldn't do it now. And having just left permie employment, it seemed a pretty good deal for £500 pd.

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1826549
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                  X