• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being bored to death

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being bored to death

Week No 8 and here I am still sitting at the desk trying to look busy and like I am doing something. I have seriously ran out of ideas about what to do? The client manager here is a big fan of bum on seat, so have to be present in the office to get paid, but it is increasingly annoying to find new stuff to entertain myself.
    After all, there are only n number of dumps that you can take per day, without everyone realizing you are missing and where you are.
    So back to creating crap reports, and screen refreshes for a while.
    Whoever said; A role is better than a bench

Can't you develop something for fun, and make it look like you're working

Fire up your IDE and look busy!
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Bring in your own lappy and spin some VMs up, install some sw of your choice, you'll be super busy then.

Client work is v slow here, so still trying to get a DC to talk to my cluster nodes.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
        Can't you develop something for fun, and make it look like you're working

Fire up your IDE and look busy!
        The whole environment is suppose to be super secure. So not allowed to install any s/w on the machine. Not allowed to bring in own device as well. All the activity is logged as well, so someone down the line is going to see a lot of CUK from my IP.
        I might just start looking for another role tbh.

Comment

I am in a similar situation but more because I am bored with the work than having a large work load.

Just think of the daily rate and carry on.....

6 weeks to go for me before I can finally rest on that warm bench.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
            The whole environment is suppose to be super secure. So not allowed to install any s/w on the machine. Not allowed to bring in own device as well. All the activity is logged as well, so someone down the line is going to see a lot of CUK from my IP.
            I might just start looking for another role tbh.
            Fair dos, that is a pi$$er.

Learn Chess? (I'm addicted now)

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              Bring in your own lappy and spin some VMs up, install some sw of your choice, you'll be super busy then.

Client work is v slow here, so still trying to get a DC to talk to my cluster nodes.

qh
              A Cluster Chuck?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

plenty of good online courses in Technical.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If you can't do anything useful then install something like TVCatchup on your smartphone, use earphones and watch live telly whilst reading documentation
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I am in a similar situation and have taken to listening to audiobooks. The days are flying by now.

Comment

Working...
                    X