• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bedwetting about another PM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bedwetting about another PM

Current gig is doing my absolute nut in. The PM mainly. Absolutely useless. I've been on his project for 7 weeks, in that time I have asked him for a project plan, list of deliverables and dependancies. Constantly told not to worry about it, that's not the way they work, light documentation only, yada yada yad.

So I took the initiative to compile a traceability matrix, from the documents I do have, to tease out a list of deliverables and interdependancies. Not a huge project, but quite knotty. Part being delivered by an on-shore - off site company who are equally laissez-faire.

So far I have managed to point out that :

a) The statement of work for the external company is far too light, has massive gaps. Lots of eye rolling. Sat them down today and took them through it kicking and screaming. By the end of it they were much quiter and much more compliant. The message was clear, you ****ed this up lads and I just saved your bacon.

b) All the while I have been asking what it is that I should be specking up? Given that they only use "light documentation" and my offers of writing F-Specs have been knocked back. After 3 weeks of asking, and then 3 weeks of escalating and asking I'm no further forward. Then at yesterday's team meeting he asked me how the specking was going.

Me : Which specs do I owe?
    PM : Not sure, I just know we should be specing.

Me : OK, so which bit should I spec first?
    PM : Really don't know I just need it done, we're very late.

Me : Is there a plan then?
    PM : Not yet, still working on it.

Me : So there's no plan, no clear deliverables, and we're late?
    PM : What's your point?

Me : The point is I've been asking you for a plan, and deliverables for weeks now. I've even listed out the deliverables and asked you to tell me which ones need specking and which ones are "lightly documented" as every time I offer to spec something you knock it back. Frankly I'm at a loss as to know how to help you.

So I've suggested a list of specifications, after interviewing the System architect to get his opinion. Not waiting for this to be agreed I'm just going to crack on with it.

Feels like I'm kicking every ball, and this chump swings into work, does frak all, and calls himself a PM.

Question to the panel. How much should I do his job for him, or should I stand back and let it fall over, making sure my botty is covered?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    <stuff>
    or should I stand back and let it fall over, making sure my botty is covered?
    WSS
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Question to the panel. How much should I do his job for him, or should I stand back and let it fall over, making sure my botty is covered?
      You cover your botty. Nothing else matters
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        WSS
        Dammit I'm good

Originally posted by eek View Post
        You cover your botty. Nothing else matters
        Pretty covered so far. Plenty of emails, been pretty fastidious about that.

I just hate standing by and watching something fall over. Hate losing, unnecessarily. Just want to shout "give it here boy!" and wrestle it under control and deliver it. Why oh why do I give a ****?

Flawed I am.

Comment

Why oh why do I give a ****?
          Pass. As I say to simon and others I'm only at Clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Pass. As I say to simon and others I'm only at Clientco for the entertainment

My new sig!

Comment

Can we just save time and fast forward to

Originally posted by Suity
              I've had it now, I've told them all that I'm walking out the door. Yes I am this time, I really, really am
              and then

Originally posted by Suity
              I've not backed down, but I'm staying and they are going to listen to me
              posts that we always get to?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                Can we just save time and fast forward to

and then

posts that we always get to?
                That's soooooo last year daaaaahlink.

Comment

That's soooooo next year daaaaahlink.
                  Ftfy hth bidi

Comment

Ftfy hth bidi

Comment

Working...
                    X