• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Killer Roads

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killer Roads

Download of map showing the dangerous roads in Britain.

I was surprised that the M25 is deemed safe, have they not seen the loons that drive there?
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

I was surprised that the M25 is deemed safe, have they not seen the loons that drive there?
    Yeah but most of the time you cannot go fast enough to hurt anyone because of the traffic - believe me, I have tried.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

The M1 around Sheffield green - really?!?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

The M25 etc are designed for high speed and bringing you more or less safely to a stop.

Compare hitting a Crash Barrier and a tree.

Crash barriers you are likely to walk away from, they are designed to crumple and slow your speed.

Trees/Walls/Bridges/Streetlights etc tend to be less forgiving.

Also the M25 doesn't allow Pedestrians or Cyclists, just people encased in metal designed to save their occupants.

Opposing traffic Flows minimises speed differential.

Multiple lanes and you have somewhere to go.
        Last edited by vetran; 24 October 2013, 11:36.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Just had a look at the map, and have ridden a few of the red and black ones.

Maybe it should be renamed the best motorcycling roads in the UK.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            The M25 etc are designed for high speed and bringing you more or less safely to a stop.

Compare hitting a Crash Barrier and a tree.

Crash barriers you are likely to walk away from, they are designed to crumple and slow your speed.

Trees/Walls/Bridges/Streetlights etc tend to be less forgiving.

Also the M25 doesn't allow Pedestrians or Cyclists, just people encased in metal designed to save their occupants.

Opposing traffic Flows minimises speed differential.

Multiple lanes and you have somewhere to go.
            WHS - Twisty turny A roads are _way_ more dangerous than motorways.

One hiccup on a foggy might or a slippery corner, and you're in a head on
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Big difference between 'Killer Roads' and 'Accident Prone Roads'.

Am surprised the A65 to Kirkby Lonsdale is only Amber though.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 24 October 2013, 11:57.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's worked out as a scale of death and serious injury against volume of traffic carried. The motorways may have more accidents on them, but for the volume of traffic they carry the ratio of accidents per vehicle journey is a lot lower.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It is indeed volume which makes motorways look all fairly safe. The Fosse way, in parts, and some of the Cotswolds have the worst records as they are twisty and carry far slower machinery, like tractors and such like. It encourages a bit of bravado in getting past them. I recall one road north out of Oxford featuring high on deaths/volume because of that.

I once read a P J Rourke book* in which, iirc, he said he gauged the difficulties of bends in 3rd world countries by seeing how many crosses were up as you approached the apex, the only time to worry he said, was when it was a double apex and more crosses appeared. It's bouquets of flowers in the UK.

*Holidays In Hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Howser View Post
                    The Fosse way, in parts, and some of the Cotswolds have the worst records as they are twisty and carry far slower machinery, like tractors and such like.
                    Roman roads are famous for their twistyness.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X