• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance Rant!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    For those who don't venture into TPD last week I ran into the back of someone coming out of a junction as they had stopped in the middle of the road, entirely my fault and I admit that, on first inspection there was no damage to their car and a bit to mine but not enough to worry about it, she mentioned something about renewing her policy in a few days so trying to avoid going through our respective insurers and looking at the damage (or lack off) I was happy with this. Few days later I get a call saying there is damage to the boot and "behind the bumper" so it will have to go through the insurance, again no worries.

Get a letter through yesterday from their solicitors claiming "in excess of £10,000" due to whiplash, driving anxiety and lost earnings, **** sake I thought I was on a good rate as given they only had one day off (the form stated this). So I go back to the photos I have taken off the cars and again confirm there is no visible damage to her car and given the speed of impact was below 5mph I spoke to my insurers saying I wanted to contest the level of the claim, only to be told that with fault established it is not in their and thus my, interest to negotiate the claim and just settle.

Are things that ****ed up with our legal system that it is cheaper to just settle than try and negotiate a fair deal? I wonder how much the case would cost if third party claims management firms were not involved, or no win no fee cases were abolished.
    https://www.insurancefraudbureau.org/report/

Welcome to the IFB Cheatline

If you know anyone involved in committing insurance fraud, you are paying for this with increased insurance premiums. This money can then be used to fund other criminal activity. Please help the IFB in their fight to protect honest customers.

You can report insurance fraud to the IFB in two free and confidential ways.

IFB 0800 422 0421,
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Quite. Then the bastards try and cut their losses by ripping off their customers. After my van was hit from behind by a big truck while in reverse gear they tried to say the damage to the transmission was not related to the accident. Had to take it to the ombudsman to get the insurance I had been paying for.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Quite. Then the bastards try and cut their losses by ripping off their customers. After my van was hit from behind by a big truck while in reverse gear they tried to say the damage to the transmission was not related to the accident. Had to take it to the ombudsman to get the insurance I had been paying for.
        I can see they would be sceptical. And hard to prove it was. But you got there in the end.

I had a mate hit some debris. He didnt know it at the time but ot had pierced a casing of some descriptipn and all his oil was departing. Engine blew up. He claimed on his insurance without too much difficulty. I wouldnt have thought I was covered were it me.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          I can see they would be sceptical. And hard to prove it was. But you got there in the end.

I had a mate hit some debris. He didnt know it at the time but ot had pierced a casing of some descriptipn and all his oil was departing. Engine blew up. He claimed on his insurance without too much difficulty. I wouldnt have thought I was covered were it me.
          Why? Your mate's and xoggoth's issues weren't down to wear and tear, or simple mechanical failure they were caused by an incident before hand.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X