• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Morning' mouse potatoes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Gordon Bennett came from this chap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gordon_Bennett,_Jr.

He was a pilot, who would dive bomb people on the ground, who would exclaim "there goes Gordon Bennett" with surprise
    Shortened to "Gordon Bennett!"
    I believe the use of his name as an exclamation long predates the Wright Brothers' infernal invention:
    "However, he often scandalized society with his flamboyant and sometimes erratic behavior. In 1877, he left New York for Europe after an incident that ended his engagement to socialite Caroline May. According to various accounts, he arrived late and drunk to a party at the May family mansion, then urinated into a fireplace (some say grand piano) in full view of his hosts."

Comment

A mate of mine has a Gordon Setter called Bennett. I wonder what percentage of Gordon Setters are called Bennett - I suspect it's quite high.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        You shouldn't refer to yourself so harshly. Fair enough that people think it, but to realise their observations is quite uncalled for.
        Unfortunately it's printed on my name badge.

Comment

Working...
        X