• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holidays and School Term Times

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Shirley a better approach would be to A) Allow school to set their own term times, so there is less over lap between areas B) Ban Holiday firms from gouging prices which are much much higher than the rest of the year!
    Lots of people have more than one kid at a school at a time and lots of families have 2 working parents.

So if you have a kid in primary school with say a 12 year old in secondary school you are screwed completely if all their holidays are different.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
      Easy impose a price controls over package holidays for the uk which we could have more control over, if people want to holiday abroad tough they have to pay more

It might help arrest the decline of sea side towns
      Oh dear price controls
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        Oh dear price controls

Well everything else is going back to the 70s, even the obsession with digital watches....
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

A buddy of mine always rings in and says the kid has a bug. While on holiday he just remembers to ring in each day. Problem solved.

As for holiday prices..my wife notices that the prices of holidays fluctuates during the day with prices in the morning being lower than those in the evening. Not sure if that's due to demand or a pre-programmed pricing curve in the software - I suspect the latter.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            BBC News - Drop term-time holiday ban, urges petition

Shirley a better approach would be to A) Allow school to set their own term times, so there is less over lap between areas B) Ban Holiday firms from gouging prices which are much much higher than the rest of the year!
            The problem with schools setting their own holidays (and some counties have half terms at different times already IIRC) is that many families have kids in different schools - sometimes n different counties / LEAs (if they still exist). My brother has three kids - the two in secondary are in one county and the one in primary is in another county - they all go to their nearest school. It is not easy to cover holidays as it is but would be significantly harder if they did not coincide with each other, which is I believe another of Gove's bright ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              The problem with schools setting their own holidays (and some counties have half terms at different times already IIRC) is that many families have kids in different schools - sometimes n different counties / LEAs (if they still exist). My brother has three kids - the two in secondary are in one county and the one in primary is in another county - they all go to their nearest school. It is not easy to cover holidays as it is but would be significantly harder if they did not coincide with each other, which is I believe another of Gove's bright ideas.
              Nevermind county, my lad's friends got to a variety of schools, school holidays can vary as much as 5 days. And these are primary schools in the same town!
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                Parents who really want to take the kids out during term time just phone them in sick "little Tommy can't come to school today because he has explosive diarrhoea" and off they go. The school doesn't ask questions otherwise it's put down as "unauthorised absence" and that reflects badly on the school. So the school would rather just turn a blind eye....
                That's right cause kids are great at keeping up the pretence when they get back. I guess they can put the tan down to discolouring effects of a body covered in explosive diarrhoea. Schools do pick up on this and letters/words are had in many cases. I think you will be surprised how little of a blind eye good schools take on this.

If that's correct then it would suggest the education approach is too fragile; many kids are likely to miss a week or so each year due to flu or other illnesses; are they then going to end up with a disadvantage?
                Potentially yes but these are not yearly and good teachers will support this when it happens. tulip does happen and they know this. The system then breaks when you take this effort in to account and THEN add a whole school of kids missing a week on top of that (in the worst case). It isn't that fragile that sickness can't be dealt and a good teacher will put the extra effort in to make sure it doesn't impact the kids.

I am talking generally here of course. Sometimes it doesn't matter and sometimes some people don't care.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Got some sympathy on both sides and I don't think a week off makes any difference for the vast majority of kids especially close to summer when they do fck all for the last few weeks !!!
                  Think we over-estimate the amount of work they get through, its astonishing how little some kids can actually have learnt after 12 YEARS in school - see educating yourkshire for details.
                  I like the 6 weeks blocks one school is doing with hols split through the year.
                  Yeah I know, kids at different schools but there is usually some overlap and boo hoo if johnny doesn't get a sunshine break(#1st world problem)

Comment

Working...
                  X