• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you know someone who's war-chest ran out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know one guy, a reasonably close acquaintance. He thought he was quite well set and could afford to push things. He did some consulting role and on one project he bought the client a few servers and infrastructure kit as well as part of the whole package consultancy deal. Client just didn't pay after the first invoice (month bill, month to pay terms) citing end-of-year accountancy system issues delaying the setting up of the account. Client didn't pay at the end of the second invoice terms formally querying some issues on the invoice but promising to pay. Client didn't pay at the end of the third invoice again querying some issues but because they were so big my friend thought it wasn't a problem and kept working. At the end of the fourth invoice terms period he still didn't get paid and formally started dunning the invoices and stopped providing services. This caused the client to allege breach of contract and complete forfeiture of any due payment due to the losses the client would have to incur finishing the project. The outstanding balance was £40,000 in billed time plus the hardware he supplied, he loaned his own company the money from his personal reserves. He sued immediately, the judge refused a summary judgement due to a very complex contract and situation and set a full hearing for a decent time in the future.

He went bankrupt before the hearing, his company was seized by the Official Receiver who settled with the client for just enough to settle all the bankruptcy debts and annul the bankruptcy (I think that's what it's called when the OR cancels the bankruptcy due to full payment). Thankfully, he got to keep his house but lost his car, his company, his savings and is struggling to get work due to confidence issues. The OR settlement with the end-client had a confidentiality agreement in it that bound him as well or he'd be naming the company publicly.

The moral of it all is that you can have a war chest you think is plenty but a few daft "investments" will see it all going down the gutter and you with it.

Comment

Originally posted by masonryan View Post
      I find the large number of moronic or anti-social posts here give contractors a bad reputation.
      Stop posting then.

BTW search for Psychocandy - that's what contractors do when they have no money.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Although... back on topic. A couple of years ago I decided to go all out for a plan B. Came within a whisker of making me a fortune, but made me nothing (ironically a former clientco who would have been a brilliant first domino, and who wanted to buy, buy, buy at user level, wouldn't deal with a small company like mine, even one which had produced half of their tier one applications!). Warchest hit lowest safety margin, went and found a contract.

The plan was to refill the warchest and carry on with the plan B, but a change in the supply chain and a couple of good contracts... new boat... buy to let... however much the Plan B freedom appeals, the easy cash that a couple of decent contracts can generate is quite an addictive drug!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Stop posting then.
          With respect, I'm attempting to have a serious discussion with 'professional' people.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            In mitigation, I copied darmstadt's post!
            I could see that, but I couldn't resist

Comment

With respect, I'm attempting to have a serious discussion with 'professional' people.
              Serious discussions don't get posted in General - post in Accounting/Legal or Business/Contracts.

Comment

What are you contributing to the discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                  The moral of it all is that you can have a war chest you think is plenty but a few daft "investments" will see it all going down the gutter and you with it.
                  I enjoyed your post, yes a very important message there, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    What are you contributing to the discussion?
                    Now be professional after all this is General.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                      Why?

Are you the bloke who all the agents are out to get?
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X