• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Letter to the contractor employment "Industry"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I've employed 4 contractors in the last year, 2 UK and 2 US.
    In each case every one has been bought in to do one of the core skills that I used to contract in (2xBA/ 1xSQL Developer / 1xSenior Data Analyst). I terminated one BA, didn't renew another and about to not renew the Analyst. Only the SQL developer is left and whereas she has some skills they still need hand holding, but theyre foreign and cheaper than the onshore equivalent and that's why theyre still used.

I've worked with hardly any decent contractors in my time & the best ones I do know are all ones I've initially mentored and who have gone on to do way better than I ever did.

Decent contractors are hard to find.
    Accept your point but what I am getting at here is that ALL contractors be they fabulous or otherwise now seem to be treated with utter contempt. Like I posted earlier, market conditions is used as an excuse to behave like this. OK fine, just please remove all your ethical hype from your websites banging on about the importance of long term relationships with candidates!

Comment

Originally posted by Contractoid View Post
      Accept your point but what I am getting at here is that ALL contractors be they fabulous or otherwise now seem to be treated with utter contempt. Like I posted earlier, market conditions is used as an excuse to behave like this. OK fine, just please remove all your ethical hype from your websites banging on about the importance of long term relationships with candidates!
      Only those with contempt for the process get treated with utter contempt. There are good agents, poor agents, good contractors, poor contractors, good clients, poor clients, good managers yada yada yada.

Being sensitive and being a contractor don't go together. Ask Suity.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I find the theatrics of permie contempt from clients quite amusing. The usual silent treatment, not invited for drinks, leaving early on your last day so they don't have to say goodbye and the other usual ones. I just laugh at it all.

Comment

Suity's busy invoicing. You're a permie.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I've employed 4 contractors in the last year, 2 UK and 2 US.
            In each case every one has been bought in to do one of the core skills that I used to contract in (2xBA/ 1xSQL Developer / 1xSenior Data Analyst). I terminated one BA, didn't renew another and about to not renew the Analyst. Only the SQL developer is left and whereas she has some skills they still need hand holding, but theyre foreign and cheaper than the onshore equivalent and that's why theyre still used.

I've worked with hardly any decent contractors in my time & the best ones I do know are all ones I've initially mentored and who have gone on to do way better than I ever did.

Decent contractors are hard to find.
            Psssst, over here
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Psssst, over here
              Wassup Suity? You know someone suitable?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Only those with contempt for the process get treated with utter contempt. There are good agents, poor agents, good contractors, poor contractors, good clients, poor clients, good managers yada yada yada.

Tiz true. Nowadays I've learned not to give a ****

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Suity's busy invoicing. You're a permie.
                  <swoon>

Comment

$110 an hour for someone who is supposed to be better at the function than me says different.
                    Pay peanuts, get monkeys
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      Psssst

Still?
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X