• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Third gender

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    There are gender identities, though, not biological sex which is what the original post is about (ignoring the thread title).
    Hang on, you seem to know a lot about it. You're not, um, thinking of "transitioning" are you?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Hang on, you seem to know a lot about it. You're not, um, thinking of "transitioning" again are you?
      FTFY

Comment

Good for contractors, just think of all that software that had to be changed to add a new field to all forms...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Good for contractors, just think of all that software that had to be changed to add a new field to all forms...:
          actually many organisations do already allow this. LGBT people look at the options in the Gender field when applying for university, jobs, etc, as one way to see how LGBT-friendly the place is. E.g. Is it male/female or male/female/other.

But any database storing gender as a bool is going to need some work. Maybe put "gender modernisation" on your CV?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            actually many organisations do already allow this. LGBT people look at the options in the Gender field when applying for university, jobs, etc, as one way to see how LGBT-friendly the place is. E.g. Is it male/female or male/female/other.

But any database storing gender as a bool is going to need some work. Maybe put "gender modernisation" on your CV?
            I'm hoping no databases use bool for this as that would be ridiculous. Char(1) is the way.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              I'm hoping no databases use bool for this as that would be ridiculous. Char(1) is the way.
              Boolean seems fine to me.

Sex? Y/N

Comment

I can totally see developers thinking "we want to ensure only two values are possible so use true for male and false for female".
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I can totally see developers thinking "we want to ensure only two values are possible so use true for male and false for female".
                  That's why you'd call the field YChromosome and not gender.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    That's why you'd call the field YChromosome and not gender.
                    Epic win
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Epic win
                      Not so fast!

XX or XY are the conventional complement, but some people have XXX, XXY, XYY, XXXX, XXYY, etc

So you'll need to reserve an unsigned int8 for that too
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X