• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fail-Pass or distinction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benny View Post
    Oi be a bit fick but doesn't that mean that 75% of accidents resulting in death or serious injury are not caused by young drivers?
    No, it means that more than 75% of accidents resulting in death or serious injury are not caused by young drivers.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      No, it means that more than 75% of accidents resulting in death or serious injury are not caused by young drivers.
      No, it means that more than 75% of accidents resulting in death or serious injury are not caused by drivers under 24.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
        Oi be a bit fick but doesn't that mean that 75% of accidents resulting in death or serious injury are not caused by young drivers?
        How to teach your children to drive - Telegraph

Association of British Insurers says an 18-year-old is more than three times as likely as a 48-year-old to be involved in a crash, and a third of drivers killed in car accidents are under 25.
        http://www.racfoundation.org/assets/...-%20110511.pdf

figure 8
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The 15-19 bracket is a bit misleading. You would have thought they would have made the break point at 17 so you can identify the number of deaths attributable to the teenagers driving. I would imagine the numbers of 15 & 16 year olds is skewing the figures compared to the 17-19 year olds.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It is observed that on average if people get feedback that they are doing well, they tend to do better, thus a useful effect may be achieved by telling everyone they got a distinction.

In any case insurers are now issuing gear that can monitor your driving and guess your chances of an accident, so something like this is inevitable.
            Also I hear that police can crack open your SatNav and extract useful evidence about how you were driving just before an accident.

I'm not sure I quite believe that, at least not yet, but the day is coming where your detailed driving habits are part of your insurance and prosecution.

This will be widely welcomed, because a standard bit of psychology is that most people think they are in the top 20% of drivers, so they will think they are getting a better deal and not subsidising oiks.
            My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              The 15-19 bracket is a bit misleading. You would have thought they would have made the break point at 17 so you can identify the number of deaths attributable to the teenagers driving. I would imagine the numbers of 15 & 16 year olds is skewing the figures compared to the 17-19 year olds.
              I suspect they aren't just talking about the drivers. Passengers & Pedestrians seem to be included.

But the general shape of the graph illustrates the point that these ages are most at risk.

Comment

The answer is retests. Retest everyone 5 years after their test to make sure any bad habits are corrected, then every 10 years thereafter.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
                  In any case insurers are now issuing gear that can monitor your driving and guess your chances of an accident, so something like this is inevitable.
                  Also I hear that police can crack open your SatNav and extract useful evidence about how you were driving just before an accident.
                  Of course "monitor your driving" means "monitor your speed" as that's the only factor they can consider. Then the next step is for insurance companies to refuse to pay out if you were 1mph above the limit, leaving drivers with thousands of pounds to pay in the event of an accident that was nothing to do with speed. Those with a hysterical old woman approach to road safety would probably welcome that.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I actually have a Friend who is a driving instructor who is quite well regarded (he gets some interesting jobs), he bemoaned the fact the test is the end of the learning journey.He is quite keen to take new drivers on post test training and sometimes throws a few lessons in free afterwards.

Takes them on a Motorway and teaches some advanced observation techniques. He tries to do a few night driving sessions before the test.Many times the pupils are so focussed on the test they don't take in the subtleties.

I would recommend phased access to Motorways and young passengers plus a 6month - 1 year second test - probably digital rather than physical.

I would also like to see 5 year tests for all of us. Again digital turn up at test centre show ID, sit at a computer with steering wheel etc . 3 tries then you need to resit original test. It would force everyone to see a driving licence as a privilege.

Digital Tachos in all company funded vehicles and maybe private vehicles being used > 5000 mile a year for business, minimum repayment levels per mile a year to stop employers using employees cars to push down wages.

Limits for commercial driving with rest breaks. Stop white van men & salesmen's BMW/Audi's crashing into everything.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      Of course "monitor your driving" means "monitor your speed" as that's the only factor they can consider. Then the next step is for insurance companies to refuse to pay out if you were 1mph above the limit, leaving drivers with thousands of pounds to pay in the event of an accident that was nothing to do with speed. Those with a hysterical old woman approach to road safety would probably welcome that.
                      Actually they can monitor a number of things, excessive acceleration & braking for instance.

Comment

Working...
                      X