• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is a really good idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a really good idea

BBC News - Pembrokeshire Lottery celebrates 20 years creating jobs

A lottery that raises money to make interest free loans to local small businesses. Investors get a pay off (the prize), business gets cheap credit, everyone's a winner.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    BBC News - Pembrokeshire Lottery celebrates 20 years creating jobs

A lottery that raises money to make interest free loans to local small businesses. Investors get a pay off (the prize), business gets cheap credit, everyone's a winner.
    What about the banks? They don't appear to be getting anything out of this? That'll have to change.

Love,

Dave C

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
      What about the banks? They don't appear to be getting anything out of this? That'll have to change.

Love,

Dave C
      Not sure he actually thinks like that.

Its Big Society isn't it.

I like it and its sounds like a really good initiative, anything that creates private sector jobs is normally good.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

everyone's a winner.
        Except for all the losers, obviously.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's a community investing in itself rather than looking to others or wasting resources funding futile strikes. Really innovative idea IMO. I'm surprised it's been going 20 years and hasn't been emulated all over the country.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It's a community investing in itself rather than looking to others or wasting resources funding futile strikes. Really innovative idea IMO. I'm surprised it's been going 20 years and hasn't been emulated all over the country.
            Except at its heart it's gambling; it's still exploiting the weak and stupid as a way of raising money. The money might go towards good things, but then is propping up businesses and jobs that much more deserving than the "good causes" the national lottery raises money for?
            Last edited by VectraMan; 25 November 2013, 11:49. Reason: Its

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Except at it's heart it's gambling; it's still exploiting the weak and stupid as a way of raising money. The money might go towards good things, but then is propping up businesses and jobs that much more deserving than the "good causes" the national lottery raises money for?
              Nope. I do about three such lotteries every week. all were sold to me as fund raising with a charitable elements rather than a chance to win a large sum of money.

The great thing is that once the initial sign ups are organised the standing order will just continually collect the small weekly / monthly sums....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Except at it's heart it's gambling; it's still exploiting the weak and stupid as a way of raising money. The money might go towards good things, but then is propping up businesses and jobs that much more deserving than the "good causes" the national lottery raises money for?
                Is it any more "gambling" than investing directly in the same businesses?

Is it "propping up businesses" any more than bank lending to the same businesses?

I think the fact the money is loaned rather than granted makes it significantly different than the lottery.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Nope. I do about three such lotteries every week. all were sold to me as fund raising with a charitable elements rather than a chance to win a large sum of money.
                  So why make it a lottery? Why not just encourage people to invest: you put in a pound, and if the company doesn't default on the loan, you get your pound back.

Is it any more "gambling" than investing directly in the same businesses?
                  Yes, because as above, people are suckered into doing it because they think they have a chance of winning the jackpot. No investor would put money into a company based on lottery like odds of seeing a return, and no investor would lend to a company on an interest free basis. This only works because the poor and stupid are making up the shortfall.

Comment

Except at its heart it's gambling; it's still exploiting the weak and stupid as a way of raising money.
                    You don't have to be weak or stupid to gamble.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X