• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panorama - Amazon: The truth behind the click

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    We seem to have a lot of snobs on here who don't appreciate that most people don't have our choices.
    indeed, well said!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      You will find everything comes down to profit. profit is not just about money. even the people on £6.00 per hour are working for profit.
      they may well be, however many firms used to pay fair wages and make good profits.

Now its how much can we screw the workers to save a few hundred then spend ten times the amount on a piss up for the managers.

£6 an hour is then subsidised by WTC so we all pay for the big firms profits.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        We seem to have a lot of snobs on here who don't appreciate that most people don't have our choices.
        And also do not appreciate that other people are capable of making their own choices without there being a needto make a TV program to effectively sneer at the value of low paid work.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Amazon workers in Germany get paid a pittance and have been striking on and off for quite a while now. things are hotting up as they're going to strike during the Christmas rush which will either get them their wage rise, or get them all sacked and cheaper 'immigrants' in or give them a bad smell as people don't receive the Christmas goods they ordered. Also the security at the warehouses seemed to have been run by neo-nazis

German Amazon workers strike in long-running dispute over pay | Business | The Guardian

Amazon sacks 'neo-Nazi' security firm - Telegraph
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            they may well be, however many firms used to pay fair wages and make good profits.

Now its how much can we screw the workers to save a few hundred then spend ten times the amount on a piss up for the managers.

£6 an hour is then subsidised by WTC so we all pay for the big firms profits.
            The trouble with your woolly view is what is "fair" and what is "good profit" is entirely subjective. It could easily be argued that what you earn is grossly unfair considering you take no responsibility for what you do , you develop technology that takes peoples jobs away and you do not pay your fair share of tax. Some of you people need to have a long look at yourselves before you start getting sanctimonious about "profit"
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

And also do not appreciate that other people are capable of making their own choices without there being a needto make a TV program to effectively sneer at the value of low paid work.
              I doubt people working in the warehouse in Amazon are making their own choices in the way many imagine it. Their choice is this or dole. I have to admire them for choosing working but that doesn't mean we should applaud their exploitation.

Comment

The trouble with your woolly view is what is "fair" and what is "good profit" is entirely subjective. It could easily be argued that what you earn is grossly unfair considering you take no responsibility for what you do , you develop technology that takes peoples jobs away and you do not pay your fair share of tax. Some of you people need to have a long look at yourselves before you start getting sanctimonious about "profit"
                And you're the facilitator...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                  I remember doing a 12 hour day Xmas season at Argos as one of the runners on under £3 an hour when I was 17, these folks have it easy!
                  When I were a lad I got about £6 per day..... but as you could get a pint for about 1&6 and a beef joint for Sunday dinner for about half a crown I always thought I was doing well!

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
                    Stuff is cheaper than ever. Yes actually we can pay a bit moreto pay decent wages. Im probably one of the lowest paid people around here but I would pay more for things like dvd's . Ive heard this argument before and it is what allows care assistants looking after your granny to be paid crap wages, so that noone capable of doing a higher paid role will do care.
                    I have a CD available for sale on Amazon. They decided the price and margin not me and way too expensive in my opinion although it stills sells well but I give away more than I sell which is my choice.

They're ripping off artists and paying their workers minimum to maximise profits and pretty much have a monopoly which isn't healthy. Pay more? Sure but who benefits?
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
                      When I were a lad I got about £6 per day..... but as you could get a pint for about 1&6 and a beef joint for Sunday dinner for about half a crown I always thought I was doing well!

My first wage was £12 before deductions. A pint was about 20p though
                      Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X