• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So what did you learn this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned a lot about US History. Next year I want to learn more about Political Philosophy, started reading the Republic as a warm up. Can't be doing with learning more and more techie stuff utterly boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Just shag sasguru up the arse, you know it's what you both want.
      I know what you'll be thinking of tonight when
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Looking at his avatar he is waiting for a mouthful

Comment

I learned that Vodaphone was a good investment.

Comment

I caknow what's bothering you. People are moving on, learning, educating themselves, while you stand still. Do something about it instead of whinging.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Did some as part of my MSc... In the new year I will be looking out for a MOOC course on stats and trying put what I've learnt to more practice
              I need a decent project in it to get myself motivated!
              You need to get some datasets and play round.

Get "data Mining with R" by Luis Torgo.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                You need to get some datasets and play round.

Get "data Mining with R" by Luis Torgo.
                You should take on SpaceCadet as your apprentice, he seem eager and willing to bend over backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  You should take on SpaceCadet as your apprentice, he seem eager and willing to bend over backwards.
                  Whereas you just get shafted by the mods occasionally?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 11 June 2022, 08:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
                      sasguru, I respect your opinions but I think you place too much importance on knowledge & intelligence.

I know that in software development it is necessary to have quantifiable experience in a particular technology (e.g. "Must have 2 years C# & .Net dev experience").

However, in my experience of life generally, the most successful people are those who have strong social skills and high self-esteem. The problem is, these are things that I doubt can be learned in adult life. I think they come down to genetics and upbringing (ie a mixture of nature and nurture), and if a person hasn't acquired them by their 18th birthday, then it's probably too late.

I speak as someone who has spent years of leisure time studying this kind of thing and taking massive action to try to improve in the areas I mention. I stepped way outside of my comfort zone many times and faced my fears on numerous occasions, but the rewards I got (in terms of self development, the way I feel, the way people respond to me, etc) fell a long way short of what I'd hoped for or even expected. Compared to that, learning a new programming language or development tool is a trivial task.

Cheers,
                      Jeff.
                      Cretin
                      Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X