• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rip off Britannica....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip off Britannica....

I was considering getting the DVD version of the Encylopedia Britannica for a friend who has a kid who is at school.. until I saw the US price versus the UK price...

US price: $39.95 (about £22).
    UK price: £32.99.

No wonder people use P2P..... or order overseas....

Same product. Produced in the same way. More expensive if you live in the country it is produced in. I worked for OUP - it is a charity and should not be making a profit. They closed down the on-site printing press - to save money. Then they spent millions on an extension to the Walton Street site.... with a nice blue plaque to the then head of the 'company'. They kept Oxuniprint alive (a small printing sub-division) so they did not have to pay taxes - part of their charter from the university.

Instead the books were written and edited in Oxford, then tripple-keyed in India, printed in Hong Kong, then shipped back to the UK and stored in Corby. .

Any more examples of how we are being ripped off....?
    Vieze Oude Man

Pricing is probably the most interesting area of economics, perhaps NL should look into it since it has got nothing to do with fairness whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
      I was considering getting the DVD version of the Encylopedia Britannica for a friend who has a kid who is at school.. until I saw the US price versus the UK price...

US price: $39.95 (about £22).
      UK price: £32.99.

No wonder people use P2P..... or order overseas....
      That's cheap. Normally the conversion from dollars to pounds is done by replacing the currency symbol while keeping the figures constant.

It's not just vs the US. Check out iTunes: one price for EU minus UK, another price for the UK.

Frits Bolkestein, the European Commissioner for Taxation and Customs Union, said: "Cross-border shopping is a fundamental right under EU law"
      Last edited by expat; 13 August 2006, 20:07.

Comment

Just checked out iTunes (don't normally use it) and I had not noticed that before...

I remember being in the States and finding the same DVDs that sell here for £19.99 are often $14.99 over there.

I also seem to remember a story about cars that were built in the UK (going back maybe 4-5 years) - and it was cheaper for a couple living near the manufacturing plant to travel to Holland, buy the car that was produced near their home, and travel back to the UK, than it was to buy it at the local dealership.... my understanding is that there was a big investigation into price fixing.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

A lot of things are more expensive in the UK than in the USA - this has got knock on effect on pricing of new goods and services. Just compare what kind of house you can buy in the USA for £400,000 - and what can you get in London for that kind of money?

Comment

Alexei - my original point was more that 'even the things we do actually create here, cost more than they do overseas'..... I can understand certain things can be cheaper in the US - land price is a good example, which makes up a fair percentage of the price of property.

And I did look at US property a couple of years ago - for the price of a 4 bedroom house in London you could buy - quite literally - a small island, only about 750 yards wide, with an amazing house, in Florida.
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
              Alexei - my original point was more that 'even the things we do actually create here, cost more than they do overseas'.....
              The cost of something is product of demand and supply, you simply won't sell any books in the USA if you convert £33 into dollars - on the other hand since current pricing of books in the UK is such, then its stupid to sell it for less, its as simple as this: no fairness of course (for this you need to go into NL office), just business.

Comment

But how will the immigrants afford DVDs?

I think it is racist to charge more for products in the UK
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

But you sure do realise that because product does not sell well, they just jack up the price to make up for small sales with higher margin?

Comment

So is it coz we is thick that it costs more in the UK...?

As an aside, the most profitable part of Oxford University Press (OUP) was English Language Teaching (ELT).
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X