• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor till I die - last invoice now posted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Sis got back to me - the people she spoke to were 'patient friends' - they seemed to have the influence to make stuff happen (whether it be a side room or whatever). This was a few years back, but might be worth asking Mrs d to see if she can find them?
    PALS (patient advice liaison service) nowadays. If it's a route anyone wants to go downn, you want to look at atypical circumstances, e.g. acutely ill terminally ill young guy with young family, in a ward full of people who are different (older, chronically ill etc. etc.); needs privacy and dignity with his family.

If of course you want the hassle.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
      PALS (patient advice liaison service) nowadays. If it's a route anyone wants to go downn, you want to look at atypical circumstances, e.g. acutely ill terminally ill young guy with young family, in a ward full of people who are different (older, chronically ill etc. etc.); needs privacy and dignity with his family.

If of course you want the hassle.
      Get someone else (friend, family) to do the hassling. Worth it IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I think the main issue is it's all geared for acute care rather than gentle r & r. And that is quite intrusive when you dont need it but you still get daily blood tests, woken at 6 for observations and so on.
        I spent one night in an NHS ward many years ago with food poisoning, and the thing I remember most is the nurses continuing to make a racket until about 2am. And then they came round and woke everybody up at 6. I felt bad enough without being sleep deprived.

No fibre diet here too, and the thing that's annoying me most is all the sandwiches you can buy these days are "healthy" and have brown bread, which I can't eat. But I'm quite aware that it could be worse.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I don't want the hassle. I want to go to the hospice, that is the sensible move and will happen but perhaps not today. Or perhaps it will.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I spent one night in an NHS ward many years ago with food poisoning, and the thing I remember most is the nurses continuing to make a racket until about 2am. And then they came round and woke everybody up at 6. I felt bad enough without being sleep deprived.

No fibre diet here too, and the thing that's annoying me most is all the sandwiches you can buy these days are "healthy" and have brown bread, which I can't eat. But I'm quite aware that it could be worse.
            You could be suity.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I don't want the hassle. I want to go to the hospice, that is the sensible move and will happen but perhaps not today. Or perhaps it will.
              Hope so. Fingers crossed for you.

Comment

Hope it's soon. It's no fun on a ward, judging from my limited experience.

Comment

It's not particularly nice any of it. Custard is ok, bacon and eggs, rice pudding that sort of thing.
                  When a mate's wife was in hospital she ordered scrambled eggs on the grounds that there was little that could go wrong with them.

On his next visit he was mortified to find his missus doubled up in pain.

In fact she was doubled up with laughter at the state of the scrambled eggs.

And she'd had an operation where it really did hurt when she laughed.

He smuggled in home cooked food for the rest of her stay. :
                  Last edited by Sysman; 19 June 2014, 11:29.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                    In general terms (and doobab may have restrictions) the Asian vegetarian menu is usually best.
                    Northernlady would agree I suspect.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Do they let you use the electricity in hospitals? I guess they must.
                      Yes as long as there's a spare socket or two. A small adaptor might be a wise investment for phone plus laptop charging but you can probably get away without that.

I have some surgery and a week in hospital coming up in a couple of weeks, but private. What I get I've no idea. I kind of hope I don't get a private room as I suspect I'll be bored out of my mind.
                      Boredom can be a killer. I'd suggest some light reading material. You don't want anything too heavy when you are fresh from the operating room.

If they are going to give you morphine, take lots of writing materials. I could have written a novelette while still under the influence if I'd had more writing paper.

Hope you get moved somewhere more appropriate soon.
                      Fingers crossed for that.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X