• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Mac Pro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Because Apple make both hardware and software, they can tailor the latter to the former, greatly increasing both reliability and performance, but meaning you can't just throw it on anything and expect it to run.

Yes, they still screw up now and again, but nobody ever said systems engineering was easy

That said, there's the Hackintosh stuff, which would let you run OS X on a VM if you borrowed the installer off somebody. Remember, there's never been an Apple Genuine Advantage programme for any version of Mac OS
    Not too dissimilar to the OS'es I use, they only run on the hardware that is made by the same manufacturer although some years ago there were PCMs. There is also emulation...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      IMac might be a good option. I was planning on getting a thunderbolt screen so that I can 'dock' my mbp though, and I'm guessing i can't hijack the screen from the IMac.
      Not sure what you mean by "hijack the screen" here. Would the following do what you want?

Preferences -> Sharing -> Screen Sharing - "Allows users of other computers to remotely view and control this computer"

i.e. control an iMac from an mbp or control the mbp from an iMac. Not quite the same as docking but close.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        Not sure what you mean by "hijack the screen" here. Would the following do what you want?

Preferences -> Sharing -> Screen Sharing - "Allows users of other computers to remotely view and control this computer"

i.e. control an iMac from an mbp or control the mbp from an iMac. Not quite the same as docking but close.
        Think he means use the iMac screen as an external for a MBP lappy...

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

That sounds about right. By docking i mean i'll get one of those stands which holds the mbp up on its side, and presumably tidies any cables, etc. Wasn;t sure if i can use the screen built into the iMac, or whether id have to buy another.

Comment

That sounds about right. By docking i mean i'll get one of those stands which holds the mbp up on its side, and presumably tidies any cables, etc. Wasn;t sure if i can use the screen built into the iMac, or whether id have to buy another.
            I have a mbp in a dock but you can't use the iMac as an external screen. I have a thunder bolt screen instead.

You can control the iMac remotely as has been said, but you can't use it as an external monitor for the mac book.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              I have a mbp in a dock but you can't use the iMac as an external screen. I have a thunder bolt screen instead.

You can control the iMac remotely as has been said, but you can't use it as an external monitor for the mac book.
              Is this not what I want?

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Comment

I collected an iMac this morning.
                27inch, i7 16gb ram (ill buy the other 16 separately from crucial) 1TB fusion drive.
                Plenty enough for me - about £1900 after deducting VAT and CT.

Comment

As an update to this - it works great with a caveat. Because the iMac remains running while the other computer uses it;s screen and you switch between targeted display mode and normal mode using the keyboard, you either need to use the laptop open as usual but with 2 screens now or or you need an extra keyboard and ideally an extra mouse too.

Comment

Get a KVM-type switch?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I collected an iMac this morning.
                      27inch, i7 16gb ram (ill buy the other 16 separately from crucial) 1TB fusion drive.
                      Plenty enough for me - about £1900 after deducting VAT and CT.
                      Waaaay too much money for what you get.

Comment

Working...
                      X