• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pardon for Alan Turing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    An Act of Parliament could overturn the convictions as opposed to just issue pardons.
    Yes it could. I wasn't suggesting it couldn't. I was simly pointing out that an act has recently been used to go some way to attempt to rectify a perceived wrong.

Overturning convictions would open a new bag of worms. But that is a common problem with retrospection.

Comment

No pardon required as at the time he'd broken the law. It's not retrospective FFS. Homosexuality was illegal, he was a practicing homosexual and was prosecuted as according to the law. Going back and pardoning on old laws that are no longer in place is opening a can of worms.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        This is good news.

A pardon is the best that could be done, as he was homosexual and it was illegal at the time.
        Exactly. A law was broken. No pardon required.

Comment

I think Alan Turing was a genius. And it upsets me that if he had been let loose the UK could have led the world in computing and telephony.

What was done was very wrong.

But a pardon won't help him now.

Shows how fooked this country is - worrying about events that happened 60 years ago instead of thinking where we could be in 60 years time.

And obviously I think retrospection is wrong in all cases.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            Yes it could. I wasn't suggesting it couldn't. I was simly pointing out that an act has recently been used to go some way to attempt to rectify a perceived wrong.

Overturning convictions would open a new bag of worms. But that is a common problem with retrospection.
            This was an unusual persecutory law so needs an unusual response. The only can if worms opened is one of persecution of a minority.

Comment

This was an unusual persecutory law so needs an unusual response. The only can if worms opened is one of persecution of a minority.
              Why is it unusual? There are plenty of laws which don't make sense now which made sense then and vice versa. My extension of this 'minority' based on sexuality only stands to reason you might be standing up for Rolf and Jimmy as wrongly convicted in 50 years.

Retrospection is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I think Alan Turing was a genius. And it upsets me that if he had been let loose the UK could have led the world in computing and telephony.

What was done was very wrong.

But a pardon won't help him now.

Shows how fooked this country is - worrying about events that happened 60 years ago instead of thinking where we could be in 60 years time.
                So you want a halt to any further WW2 veteran parades?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Why is it unusual? There are plenty of laws which don't make sense now which made sense then and vice versa. My extension of this 'minority' based on sexuality only stands to reason you might be standing up for Rolf and Jimmy as wrongly convicted in 50 years.

Retrospection is wrong.
                  Unusual because it persecuted people for what they were rather than what they did (in essence).

I understand the argument against retrospective law to prosecute. What is the argument against retrospective action against an old injustice?

We shouldn't worry what others may do in 50 years. Let's worry about what we can do now. I think we would view things very differently if the victims of this persecution had been Jewish or miscegenators rather than gay men.

Comment

So you want a halt to any further WW2 veteran parades?
                    Stupid 2@. Are you MF in disguise?

Keep the WW2 tributes going until they are all dead.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Better late than never, he was truly great man and it's total sad it had to end like this ...
                      Agree with this statement.

It does make you think about the others that were convicted, while they may not have been as notable as Turing they were still human beings - its a difficult one. I hope they get a pardon - but where do you stop going back in time pardoning people for what we now consider ok, but at the time was illegal.

Comment

Working...
                      X