• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rise of the extreme commuter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I understand that about seeing the kids; I don't have kids but I have plenty of experience from the other side of the equation; my father was away from home a lot due to aid work, then army work and then business when I was a little kid but that was for weeks or months at a time, and then added to that I went off to boarding school at 9; my father and I still don't really know each other very well and sometimes we get on, sometimes it's a rather difficult relationship with both of us keeping some, erm, 'distance'; I can imagine you don't want things to get like that. But two nights a week is not going to do the damage, in fact if it means you're feeling a bit more fresh and cheerful instead of tired and grouchy then the time you spend with your kids will probably be much better, and they'll look forward to seeing you when you get home. Perhaps worth a try for a little while. Maybe your wife has friends who can join her for an evening when she's alone.
    1/2 night a week I normally wouldnt have problem with. At the end of the day, these things have to be done for the money. More money equals more nice things and holidays for the family.

BUT, its amazing how illness can make things awkward getting on with everyday life. Normally (and trying not to be sexist here because its the same with the roles reversed) the husb contractor goes off to client, works the hours necessary, wife stays home keeps the home/kids in one piece. Husb home a bit late no problems. It all changes, believe me, when you know you pretty much have to get home at night at a reasonable time.... Client pulling one direction, family pulling the other = lots of stress.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

What is your local area like for your type of work? Even permie (spit)?

Would you and your family benefit more from a lower income, but you around a lot more doing 9-5?

If not, can you consider moving somewhere more convenient for contract opportunities?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        What is your local area like for your type of work? Even permie (spit)?

Would you and your family benefit more from a lower income, but you around a lot more doing 9-5?

If not, can you consider moving somewhere more convenient for contract opportunities?
        Crapish for all sorts of work where I live (Wales). Not too far for some stuff though (Bristol/South West).

Move? You mean out of Wales to England? {{shudders}}

Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

It all changes, believe me, when you know you pretty much have to get home at night at a reasonable time.... Client pulling one direction, family pulling the other = lots of stress.[/QUOTE]

In which case staying in the role that pays less might have been a wiser choice. Very difficult having to make these decisions though, I appreciate.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
          X