• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UKIP in the news again. Now even the Greeks want to join Ukip!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Who would go on the new notes? Salmond?
    Bloke in a skirt (at the very least there will be one of them)? A spider? A pint of 90 shilling? A half and half? A sheep's stomach?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Tell that to Germany or Switzerland, or a near debt free country such as Norway.
      Do you know why I think Norway, Switzerland and Germany are well run countries? Well, wait for it; it's because they're run by Norwegian, Swiss and German people. Now I know, I'm usually the one saying we shouldn't be prejudiced against people and really we shouldn't, but this is a positive point based on my observation over many years that those people tend to be pretty damned good at organising stuff. They tend not to be particularly good at humour or music, although there ARE exceptions, and sometimes they appear a bit stuffy and even, dare I say, boring, but they do tend to run things quite well, occasionally a little too enthousiastically. I don't think that Britain, Scotland or any other country will suddenly become well run and prosperous as a result of a change in sovereignty; that takes generations of cultural and political evolution. You might argue that Scotland should therefore be able to start sooner rather than later, but I would argue that a gradual evolution of culture that doesn't have a specific goal such as independence might fit the Scots much better. But then it's your choice, not mine.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Bloke in a skirt (at the very least there will be one of them)? A spider? A pint of 90 shilling? A half and half? A sheep's stomach?
        Don Cameron (balloonist)

Robert Lickley

Alex Smith (engineer)
        Thomas Coughtrie

Take you pick, there's loads: Category:Scottish engineers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Stop taking it so seriously; put Rab C Nesbitt on one note and Billy Connolly on another and give the world something to laugh about. It's a bit different to the usual conformist cack that puts the great and the good on banknotes. Bloody hell, if you're going to have a new country, do things differently. At least we can all raise a glass to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Do you know why I think Norway, Switzerland and Germany are well run countries? Well, wait for it; it's because they're run by Norwegian, Swiss and German people. Now I know, I'm usually the one saying we shouldn't be prejudiced against people and really we shouldn't, but this is a positive point based on my observation over many years that those people tend to be pretty damned good at organising stuff. They tend not to be particularly good at humour or music, although there ARE exceptions, and sometimes they appear a bit stuffy and even, dare I say, boring, but they do tend to run things quite well, occasionally a little too enthousiastically. I don't think that Britain, Scotland or any other country will suddenly become well run and prosperous as a result of a change in sovereignty; that takes generations of cultural and political evolution. You might argue that Scotland should therefore be able to start sooner rather than later, but I would argue that a gradual evolution of culture that doesn't have a specific goal such as independence might fit the Scots much better. But then it's your choice, not mine.
            I would agree. Small and independent is the way to go for many countries throughout Europe. Even Westminster wants the breakup of the EU, but they've could never admit that.

Scotland is more than capable of looking after itself. I don't doubt that, once they get their affairs in order and would be healthier for them to.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Stop taking it so seriously; put Rab C Nesbitt on one note and Billy Connolly on another and give the world something to laugh about. It's a bit different to the usual conformist cack that puts the great and the good on banknotes. Bloody hell, if you're going to have a new country, do things differently. At least we can all raise a glass to that.
              Fair comment. I vote for a proverb instead of a face.

"We'll set about ya"

Comment

"We'll set about ya"
                GIRFUY?
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

"We'll set about ya"
                  There have been so many new countries, newly independent countries, seperated regions in the world that all do the same thing; they visit some shop, probably an internet 'start a country' shop and get themselves all the boring, dated accoutrements of nationhood;

- the national anthem, usually some tinned military marching music with lyrics to the tune of 'defending the fatherland to the death' or some such cack.
                  - a national flower, often one that's either imported from somewhere else but we don't talk about that, or one that doesn't actually grow anywhere any more
                  - a national animal, see national flower
                  - a flag, often tiringly predictable and related to the various tribes of the 'nation'
                  - a national myth related to some heroic character who swished his sword around chopping off the heads of peasants who probably wanted nothing to do with it, while taking a few of their wives back to his place for a bit of one sided fun
                  - a big national government building with great pillars and statues of the great and the good
                  - a national banknote with pictures of some bloke we're supposed to know about from the history books but most of don't actually give a stuff, and anyway, if he was so great, isn't it a bit disrespectful to rub sweaty fingers over his face every day?

It's all terribly boring. Please, Scots, IF you decide to go for independence, which isn't really what I support, but it's your choice, PLEASE be a bit different; the world needs a bit more style and creativity in these matters. Show the world you've got a sense of FUN.

Comment

Worth noting too that Norway, for such a small population, has a tulip LOAD of oil.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                      Worth noting too that Norway, for such a small population, has a tulip LOAD of oil.
                      Yes, indeed. Britain and the Netherlands did too but various governments blew all the dosh while the Norwegians excluded it from the budget and put the money in a big sovereign wealth fund that means that every citizen, sorry, legal resident of Norway is now effectively a euro millionaire.

Comment

Working...
                      X