• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More climate bollox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I deny nothing. It is true that the rate of change in global surface temperatures has been zero for several years.

Exactly how many years depends on which data series you look at, the NASA data shows around 12, however it also showed November 2013 as the hottest November in the record. The RSS data series has a longer 'pause', that series is satellite data which is actually an estimate the temperatures of the lower troposphere (about the lowest 10km of the atmosphere). RSS convert brightness measurements from the sats into temperature via some clever maths taking into account viewing angle, orbital drift etc (you might call it a 'model').
    Interestingly a group at the University of Alabama take the same brightness data, put it through a different model and the 'pause' in their series is considerably shorter. So when you hear 'GW has paused for x years' remember that the X could be a cherry-pick.

12-16 years is not really long enough to eliminate or average out natural variability. On a year-to-year basis the ENSO (EL Nino/La Nina) cycle brings warm or cooler water to the surface which can mask any forced trend. The 16 year period is skewed by the fact that 1998 brought the largest El Nino of the last century, pushing temps 2sd above the trend line, while the later part of the period was dominated by La Nina years. Plus the sun seems to have gone relatively quiet recently.

Meanwhile, not much over a pause in the accumulation of heat in the oceans, which is where most of it goes...
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Now that Trenberth and the rest of the climate scientists agree that there has been a pause in the warming
      Global warming has not stopped; it is merely manifested in different ways
      - Kevin Ternberth, NCAR.

An apparent hiatus in global warming? - Trenberth - 2013 - Earth's Future - Wiley Online Library
      Last edited by pjclarke; 21 January 2014, 17:45. Reason: Its Kevin not Kenneth.

Comment

the last time I mentioned a pause, you accused me of cherry picking.

now you are cherry picking as well then.
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I dont know if your last link is supposed to prove something , but here is what Trenberth said recently
          (I know , I know, they keep changing the story and its difficult for one to keep up)

“The 1997 to ’98 El Niño event was a trigger for the changes in the Pacific, and I think that’s very probably the beginning of the hiatus,” says Kevin Trenberth, a climate scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
          The hiatus - Trenberth
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

I cited the datasets with the longest and shortest 'pauses'. You do understand what cherry-picking means?

Comment

I cited some climate Bollux.

You do understand what climate bollux means ?
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

One thing is becoming abundantly clear.

It is only when Trenberth and the rest, and pj, start moving towards our position (however reluctantly) and start to adopt some of our thinking,

it is only then that they start to become a little bit right
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

dont forget folks

pj has predicted a 3 metre rise in sea levels by the year 2028. thats 14 years from now.

he agreed with Hansens claim that Manhatten would be under water by then

the sea had better hurry up, it's only gone up 70 mm since Hansen made his prediction
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Really can't be arsed with this ..., if anybody's interested, it truly is bollox

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Hans...de-Highway.htm
                    Last edited by pjclarke; 21 January 2014, 19:11.

Comment

Hansen -

“The West Side Highway [which runs along the Hudson River] will be under water. And there will be tape across the windows across the street because of high winds. And the same birds won’t be there. The trees in the median strip will change.” Then he said, “There will be more police cars.” Why? “Well, you know what happens to crime when the heat goes up"

only 14 years to go
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                      X