• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour's smoking ban killed the British pub

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Danish had the right idea.

Every bar or restaurant has to decide what it's smoking policy is - either

1. Non smoking
    2. Separate smoking and non-smoking areas
    3. Smoking throughout

Then they display a sign outside the door which makes it clear what the policy is and then it is up to you whether you go in or not.

I have given up now but I have been bullied into that because the government here has cranked the tax on cigarettes up to eye-watering levels. I am annoyed about that.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      .. but actually it was to stop people smoking. That's why no "solution" however reasonable will be considered.

Personally I don't mind the government either protecting the health of workers in potentially smoky areas, or targeting the practice of smoking in general; but I seriously mind them targeting one while claiming that they are doing the other. That is lying to us and governments should suffer punishment for doing that.
      This +1

Comment

The pubs that closed were mostly complete tulipe and if they could not last a few weeks after the ban then they were clearly going under or too stupid to adapt which would have meant they would have closed eventually anyway.

Cheap home booze and SKY TV done them in to a far greater degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          I'm a militant anti-smoker.
          I've never really found anything to be 'militant' about. Am I missing out on something?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Cheap home booze and SKY TV done them in to a far greater degree.
            Who wants to watch TV while having a drink anyway?

The pubs I frequent are largely patronised by people who go there to enjoy a drink and chew the social cud.

Of course, there are places with big plastic banners outside announcing Live Premiership Football etc but they are generally quite ghastly.

Anyhow, regarding smoking, our local has 2 fireplaces which work over time throughout the winter months. One of these intermittently billows smoke into the area which means our pub still retains its traditional fug and ensures that you smell like a side of bacon when you leave.

The promotion of good cheer should be the most important objective of any pub. Smoking aside, these types who go round wagging their fingers about one health issue after another are about as far removed from the concept of good cheer as you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
              The promotion of good cheer should be the most important objective of any pub.
              WSS
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Also technology exists to remove the cigarette smells:

https://www.peakpureair.com/how-tio2...tion-pco-works
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

The pubs I frequent are largely patronised by people who go there to enjoy a drink and chew the social cud. ...
                  Besides the smoking ban, and the ruinous price of drink in pubs these days (over 70% of which is tax), I think another reason for pubs' decline is that young people would rather spend more time in the evening interacting with each other on their PCs, playing online games for example, than "chewing the cud" like pensioners in some pub, especially when the pub music, if any, probably isn't to their liking anyway.

There are just so many more interesting things to do nowadays, especially when you can buy a bottle of 13% wine or a brace of tinnies in a supermarket for the price of couple of weak pub pints.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I'll say it again. If there were separate smoking rooms you wouldn't be affected so there would be nothing to "put up with".
                    Stop trying to be such a tedious contentious bitch.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Who wants to watch TV while having a drink anyway?

The pubs I frequent are largely patronised by people who go there to enjoy a drink and chew the social cud.

Of course, there are places with big plastic banners outside announcing Live Premiership Football etc but they are generally quite ghastly.

Anyhow, regarding smoking, our local has 2 fireplaces which work over time throughout the winter months. One of these intermittently billows smoke into the area which means our pub still retains its traditional fug and ensures that you smell like a side of bacon when you leave.

The promotion of good cheer should be the most important objective of any pub. Smoking aside, these types who go round wagging their fingers about one health issue after another are about as far removed from the concept of good cheer as you can get.
                      Nobody wants to sit in the pub these days listening to some pish stained half cut life long failure dribbling tulipe about what he would do if he were in charge of the country. People would rather have twitter on the ipad, football on the TV and a few beers in the fridge because quite frankly it is a better night in that a night out in most of the pubs going.

And people that go into pubs for the social aspect are usually dull fookers like yourself who cant build up any friendships where booze is not involved, my local is filled with them, once you know the barman's name it is time to get out and get a life

Comment

Working...
                      X