• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the purpose of marriage?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Tax savings
    WSS +1

My accountant (who also happens to be a woman) is always bringing this up and how much I would save in tax. Admittedly over the past 25 years we've been together I think it would have been quite a lot, its just I'm a lazy bugger and just can't get around to doing all the paperwork (actually I did get around to getting a copy of my birth certificate, just in case)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Admittedly over the past 25 years we've been together I think it would have been quite a lot, its just I'm a lazy bugger and just can't get around to doing all the paperwork (actually I did get around to getting a copy of my birth certificate, just in case)
      This. Plus I'm not a big fan of officialdom and I certainly don't like the idea of having some government official giving us a piece of paper as some kind of officially approved seal of our relationship. I also can't stand the Dutch wedding ceremonies where a specially appointed civil servant stands there patronising the newlyweds as if they're now faithful little servants of the state fulfilling their duty to marry.

It might be helpful though for keeping EU citizenship.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        This. Plus I'm not a big fan of officialdom and I certainly don't like the idea of having some government official giving us a piece of paper as some kind of officially approved seal of our relationship. I also can't stand the Dutch wedding ceremonies where a specially appointed civil servant stands there patronising the newlyweds as if they're now faithful little servants of the state fulfilling their duty to marry.

It might be helpful though for keeping EU citizenship.
        Yep, but you don't have to do it like that. Vegas. Or Gretna - when we did our Lejog, we tried to convince one of our party (engaged) that she should get married at Gretna en route. We stopped there, and it would have been ace. (Me and my mate had even planned to hire a tandem for them to cycle away) She still wishes she'd done it there as they still haven't managed to set a date...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Yep, but you don't have to do it like that. Vegas. Or Gretna - when we did our Lejog, we tried to convince one of our party (engaged) that she should get married at Gretna en route. We stopped there, and it would have been ace. (Me and my mate had even planned to hire a tandem for them to cycle away) She still wishes she'd done it there as they still haven't managed to set a date...
          Ah, but the Dutch authorities are notoriously difficult about recognising foreign marriage certificates, especially seeing as they haven't made any money out of the marriage. Don't go thinking that NL is governed any differently to the UK; the government here is a massive industry swallowing huge amounts of money and doing even less useful things for te public. At least the UK gives you the NHS, and you even pay a bit less tax.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            That's what I'd do. I like the idea of a drive through wedding in Vegas, or getting married by Elvis. No fuss, just a slight detour then carry on with the holiday. If anyone wants to help celebrate we can have a party when we get home.
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

What is the purpose of marriage?

To give a woman you hate a house.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                WSS +1

My accountant (who also happens to be a woman) is always bringing this up and how much I would save in tax. Admittedly over the past 25 years we've been together I think it would have been quite a lot, its just I'm a lazy bugger and just can't get around to doing all the paperwork (actually I did get around to getting a copy of my birth certificate, just in case)
                In the UK its not just tax savings a Partner has a lot fewer rights.

Citizens Advice - Living together and marriage: legal differences

I believe if you end up as a vegetable your wife has a far easier time legally than a partner.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

'Those who the gods seek to destroy, they first make mad'

Really struggling to see the appeal after seeing numerous people royally rogered after break-ups.
                  But, if you like living in a bed-sit while some wayne rogers your missus and brings up your kids while sitting in your house watching your telly, fill ya boots...

Comment

The purpose?

It's great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Is it to find out what sort of man your wife would have preferred?
                      I think BP's is still the best. Nicely done.

My, what a bitter lot you are

Question to BP: I'm confused. I know you were married long ago (the whole Batman thing ) but thought that ended long ago. But over recent weeks you've talked about "the wife" and about not having a wife... so are you married or not?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X