• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fibre arriving today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other than downloading from BB I guess you're stuffed then, until/unless Netflix start using H.265.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I remember working in a large office the day the 1meg line arrived. That was super high speed at that point.

And count yourselves lucky, my friend lives on a farm and gets .2

Comment

I've just switched my phone to Three so I've been trying out the speeds. I was quite surprised to get 8Mb on 3G at work, and work is in a village,not some tuliphole of a city.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
          I'm going the other way, moving to Wales and expecting rubbish broadband when I find the right place
          Depends where you live. Of course Im in Wales. A lot of the south wales area is rolling out fibre at the moment.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
            I thought you were telling us your yearly supply of bran flakes was on its way
            Last nights kebab made an exit earlier if you're interested!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              It depends on how far you are from civilisation (by that I mean Cardiff or Swansea), some of the city outposts have fibre now so you may be lucky.
              newport city too remember ;-) and its got fibre. Not sure how the valleys are fixed.

Although I know where I used to live (12 miles north of cardiff) has had fibre for months.

Comment

I just got it installed from BT on Monday this week...

up to 40 mb

seems to be stable around 20 down and 4 up

which is better than the 5 down and 0.5 up I used to get

Comment

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
                  I've been looking at country cottages, most seem to be lucky if you hit 5 meg. About the only thing I won't stomach is satellite broadband, that must feel like going back to dial up
                  5Mb standard broadband outside the cities. You'll be very lucky mate. Like I said, I live on the outskirts of city and only got 1.5Mb.

I did try a thing similar to satellite broadband. It was some sort of microwave link or something. It was all done as a sort of community project and welsh assembly will fund installation (if your current link is under 2Mb). All sounded good in principal. Guy turned up stuck smallish dish on roof, cat 5 to router. (quite how they managed to convince welsh assembly this was £1000 installation I'll never know).

Signed up for 50Mb. Should have known something was rotten in denmark when the installer guy told me - no only 10Mb is available. So that was the first argument with supplier. First two weekends it went off only to be offline until about monday afternoon. Suppliers excuse - it was the weekend we've got no-one working and they had 'issues'.

Issues continued on regular basis. At the time, I hadn't cancelled my standard broadband - glad I didnt. In the end, I was getting about 2.0Mb if I was lucky, it was off about 10-15% of the time, so I refused to pay any invoices and refused to sign the form for them to get their £1000 installation fee.

All I was getting was sob stories about issues - in the end, told them to stuff it and come and collect their stuff. Despite reminders they never bothered. Beware of things like this.

Funny thing was I got sold this by a guy who ran a small local IT company and who lived in the area. Obviously, getting kickbacks. He reckoned he'd been to meetings with BT etc who said fibre would possibly never be delivered in my area due to geographical restrictions etc and, in any case it would be 2 years minimum. 6 months later its here- lying twat!

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                    You must be joking! That's like a digital super highway to us country types!

We can get 2.5 meg but in the evening when all the kids in the area are online, it dips well below 2 meg and we can't stream anything on the Xbox without it buffering.

Which brings me on to one of my bug bears: love Film, BlinkBox, Net Flix et al - please, when I buy/rent a film online, could you always give the option to download? Sometimes you can but for the most part you can only stream.
                    Never bothered with this because of these issues. Hoping I will be able to now.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      I just got it installed from BT on Monday this week...

up to 40 mb

seems to be stable around 20 down and 4 up

which is better than the 5 down and 0.5 up I used to get

Funnily, I was going to with BT and there are two packages. 39mb and 78Mb?

Estimates for my line came out at 65Mb so I thought ok might as well pay £10 extra and have the top one. Sky though reckoned 42Mb guaranteed so it'd be extra £10 for 3Mb.

In the end, went for 39Mb and see how it goes but sky are pretty confident its guaranteed. To be honest though, I got the impression they'd rather sell the cheaper package and you get that rather than thick twats moaning cos they're not getting the full 78Mb even though they were told up front.

Fingers crossed. Day at home tomorrow playing with internet. No food/clean nappies for baby! (and its a womans job).

Comment

Working...
                      X