• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skill up.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skill up.

So I have been working as an AIX systems person (contractor) for the last 8 year. 8 years as a perm before that.

I want to move up to a TA role, but lack the proven experience that all clients want these days.

I know people will say go back to perm to skill up. But I don't think perm jobs are permanent anymore.

What do other people on the forum think.

Oh yeah and I am honest and do not lie on my CV to get into a role. Most of TA's I have met should not be in the job.

What experience do they need that you can't demonstrate after 16 years?

Comment

What's a TA?

Edit: d'oh - Test Analyst of course.

Pen testing is where the money is apparently but it's a different ball game entirely. You need to think like / be a hacker.
      Last edited by Gittins Gal; 23 January 2014, 12:41.

Comment

Originally posted by mall View Post
        Oh yeah and I am honest and do not lie on my CV to get into a role. Most of TA's I have met should not be in the job.
        But they are in the job and you aren't. You don't need to 'lie', but you need to think like a business; if you can't do some skill but you can learn enough to blag the interview in a day and enough to do the work in a week before starting, then you can do it. If you have limited experience of something but it was a bit more than the people around you, then tell them you have experience and then spend a week swotting up. If you really know nothing about some particular skill then don't advertise it, but big up some other skill that's relevant.

Blag it, learn it, deliver it, bill it.

You are not selling yourself; you are selling a service that your business will provide. Lots of businesses sell things they've never done before and then work out bloody quickly how to provide them.
        Last edited by Mich the Tester; 23 January 2014, 12:41.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
          What's a TA?
          Tits and Arse man
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

skill up

For example I have a load of experience with AIX, storage and networks etc as well. But I have not performed as a TA in any of my roles so lack the PROVEN experience.

My question should be how do other people on the forum progress there career staying as contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
              What's a TA?
              Would imagine Technical Architect.

Its one of those things I could do, likewise Solutions Architect. However I prefer to produce something rather than paperwork at the end of the day so I stick to what I enjoy. Even though I could charge more if I wanted and went for the paper-trails and job title....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Tits and Arse man
                yep you have an interest in both of those...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Would imagine Technical Architect.

Its one of those things I could do, likewise Solutions Architect. However I prefer to produce something rather than paperwork at the end of the day so I stick to what I enjoy. Even though I could charge more if I wanted and went for the paper-trails and job title....
                  Agreed.

Enjoy your job if you can.

I left my last perm job which ended up transitioning into BA/Project Mangement because it wasn't development, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Could have been earning more, but that isn't everything.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by mall View Post
                    For example I have a load of experience with AIX, storage and networks etc as well. But I have not performed as a TA in any of my roles so lack the PROVEN experience.

My question should be how do other people on the forum progress there career staying as contractors.
                    If you're as good and as knowledgeable as you say you are, then I think it's just a case of reworking your roles to reflect where you want to be a little more. Have you tried applying for TA roles? Have you had any direct feedback?

Comment

Working...
                    X