• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's getting difficult for me to keep arguing for EU membership...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    ...when news like this comes out.

EU has secret plan for police to 'remote stop' cars - Telegraph

Of course David, you're right, but there's worse. Switching the ignition off in a car that's going at motorway speed is absolutely lethal, in fact it's murderously stupid because the braking systems, the power steering and in many cars the adaptive suspension need the ignition turned on to keep the car under control.

Meanwhile;

So actually it's not just 'the EU'; it's a bunch of psychopaths in the British government and police too.

This all makes the argument for driving older cars even stronger.
    Should boost my second hand car business. Bring it on
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

the point I was trying to make was the target market will just sidestep this by having their car modified, it might be of use with car thieves but I doubt it will be worth the danger of malfunction/inadvertent operation.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        It would be pretty straight forward to remotely invoke limp home mode in modern fuel injected willies

Whether or not it is a good idea is another matter
        Just imagine if our wives and girlfriends had this technology to control us
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          it will be like handguns, our Olympics team will train in France and our SAS soldiers be prosecuted for having a handgun while the criminals will have their cars modified and the Police will race round 140mph collecting their curry without being sanctioned.

Add that to the obvious stupidity of switching the car off at speed and it will be fun.
          Jesus wept, did you actually believe that sob story?

Comment

the point I was trying to make was the target market will just sidestep this by having their car modified, it might be of use with car thieves but I doubt it will be worth the danger of malfunction/inadvertent operation.
            You're right.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Ah, I believe this was the ENLETS (European Network of Law Enforcement Technology Services) bollocks I was reading about last year and, yes, the theme has come up before. I can't be bothered searching all the relevant facts but I'll point out at the last conference there were 5 key points to work on until 2015 which were made by 3 countries, Great Britain, Netherlands and Romania which were:

- Automatic Number Plate Recognition
              - Open Source Intelligence: basically information on the 'net' should be monitored and as an information source to be used and for the investigations to be carried out over the 'net'
              - Signal Intelligence: More and more data is collected and must be evaluated. Better IT systems must be developed to cope with the flood of data and to process and evaluate it
              - Surveillance: find and use the best CCTV systems
              - Front Line Policing: developement of technology to stop vehicles (this is what is referred to in the article) (*)

Quite funny there is not mention of other EU working groups like CARPOL or CEPOL though which would help you or even Directive 2011/82. Still never mind, any newspaper starting with 'Daily' hates Europe and anything to wind up the masses is fair game :-)

(* personally I think its bloody stupid and will never get off the ground)
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Should boost my second hand car business. Bring it on
                Old jags by any chance?

Comment

They do it Bait Car. Brill prog.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

and the Police will race round 140mph collecting their curry without being sanctioned.
                    Business As Usual.

I fscking hate 'em

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      Business As Usual.

I fscking hate 'em
                      I hope you're not from Brazil.

Comment

Working...
                      X