• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Six-year-old schoolboy suspended for having Mini Cheddars in his lunchbox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six-year-old schoolboy suspended for having Mini Cheddars in his lunchbox

The parents of a six-year-old boy have criticised his school after the child was suspended for four days – for having a packet of Mini Cheddars in his lunchbox.

Senior staff at Colnbrook C of E Primary School decided that Riley Pearson should be kept way from lessons for continually flouting its healthy eating policy with his choice of cheesy snack.

The school, near Slough, had implemented a healthy eating plan from the beginning of term, which asked parents to provide a balanced meal and refrain from giving their children chocolate, sweets, crisps and fizzy drinks.

But after a meeting with head teacher Jeremy Meek, Riley’s parents were told that they had been “continuously breaking school rules” and were sent a letter saying that the child would be suspended from Wednesday until Monday.

The school, which was placed in special measures after Ofsted deemed it inadequate in 2012, sent a letter to parents in January asking that packed lunches be "healthy and balanced.”

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Riley’s mother, airport shuttle worker Natalie Mardle, said: “We just do not see how they have the right to tell us what we can feed our son.

“If anything, Riley is underweight and could do with putting on a few pounds.”

The 24-year-old, who is pregnant with her fourth child, added: “ Having a balanced diet also includes eating some carbohydrates, sugars and fats.

“It is not about excluding some foods, it is about getting the mix right.”

Riley’s lunch usually consists of a sandwich, yoghurt tube, Dairylea Dunkers cheese spread snack, a packet of Mini Cheddars, and water.

Miss Mardle, who lives with Riley’s father, airport worker Tom Pearson, said Riley eats healthy, well-balanced meals at home.

The pair will be attending a further meeting with head teacher Mr Meek on Tuesday to learn whether their son can return to the school.

Mr Meek said: “We have had a wonderful response and the parents and children are on board and pleased with the way the policy has been impacted on our pupils.

“We cannot talk about individual circumstances, but there is one family who are not prepared to support the policy.

“We are in discussions with them about how we move it forward. We have excluded [the pupil] for four days due to lack of support for the policy.

“It is to avoid putting the children in a difficult situation. If the policy is not being abided by, then that potentially harms that pupil.”

In America you can feed your kids anything and if the teacher says different you can send you kid to school with a bushmaster.

Six-year-old schoolboy suspended for having Mini Cheddars in his lunchbox - Home News - UK - The Independent

Excluding the kid for 4 days seems like a totally disproportionate response to a trivial dispute over a nanny state type school policy.
    I agree kids need to eat a decent well balanced lunch, but mini cheddars are pretty damn innocuous and most sprogs that age run round like nutters so they burn calories off like mad.
    My 3 boys all had stuff like that in their lunches and they're all of the racing snake type builds as adults and late teenagers where as I'm more of a racing rhino

Comment

This would have never happened under Labour.

Comment

It does say a number of times he continuously broke the rules and the were consciously sending him with them. It's highly likely the food was an issue of them being rated inadequate as well as parents constantly breaking rules and not being picked up on it I expect.

I think there is a lot more to this story than is being reported.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I think there is a lot more to this story than is being reported.

But it's the Indy, not the Mail so I'm sure we have all the facts!

Comment

It seems to me the the school was probably rated inadequate because it's run by ******* lunatics. If it were me I'd let him be excluded so that the council were forced to find a place at another school that wasn't inadequate. Maybe that's what they are trying to do.

Of course that's what they want me to think.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              In America you can feed your kids anything and if the teacher says different you can send you kid to school with a bushmaster.
              Yes indeed, the morbidly obese children and school massacres using assault rifles has not gone unreported on this side of the pond... I suppose the septics think all this is their constitutional right. We think it's natural selection.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                Excluding the kid for 4 days seems like a totally disproportionate response
                WHS.

Our daughter attends a montessori kindergarten here in Munich. The policy is similar no sugary foods or crisps. Fruits yes. Flouting the policy impacts other children not just your own, so it's consideration for all parents.

Must admit daughter is very well behaved. When relatives visited recently we went out to a nice restaurant in the evening. They were surprised our nearly three year old was sat at the table with us (i.e. not using a baby sister), I thought nothing of it myself. Later they commented how well behaved she was, sat there the whole time like one of us.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  WHS.

Our daughter attends a montessori kindergarten here in Munich. The policy is similar no sugary foods or crisps. Fruits yes. Flouting the policy impacts other children not just your own, so it's consideration for all parents.

Must admit daughter is very well behaved. When relatives visited recently we went out to a nice restaurant in the evening. They were surprised our nearly three year old was sat at the table with us (i.e. not using a baby sister), I thought nothing of it myself. Later they commented how well behaved she was, sat there the whole time like one of us.
                  Sounds like the child is malnourished therefore doesn't have the energy to be badly behaved.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Sounds like the child is malnourished therefore doesn't have the energy to be badly behaved.
                    Parents in Bavaria don't overfeed their children. They also get healthy amount of outdoors, some of which I find a little disturbing.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X