• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New form of exhilaration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New form of exhilaration

I was always going for a bike ride yesterday as I had the day off and didn't want to have to inhale the cheesy odours pervading the air at my local gym.

So, out I went in the teeth of a 70mph gale.

I'm near Burnham on Sea so I thought it would be a laugh to have a gander at the sea front. Amazed I ever got there because I literally almost came to a standstill the wind was so strong.

Anyhow - once I was there- what a buzz!

With the wind behind me I flew along with the sea spray crashing over me with no effort at all. Wish I'd had me Strava on - definitely would have been a PB.

Beats going to the gym that's for sure.

My sister was telling me that she'd taken the kids into Newquay to see the waves crashing in and she was met by a cordon of hi-viz yellow preventing anyone's ingress to the seafront. (how this worked if you happened to be a resident or business owner on the seafront, I don't know)

The majesty of the sea during a violent storm is, indeed, a sight to behold and my parents would take me down to Lyme as a child in similar meteorological conditions.

Part of growing up.

Yet another example of the ever lengthening tentacles of the cloying nanny state stifling our day to day activities.

Seriously, standing on the harbour wall would be pretty stupid but there's a very sturdy set of railings not to mention a tranche of beach separating you from the raging water. I mean, all you get is drenched in some very fine spray - nothing with the force that could suck a child under the railings and be carried out into the raging blue yonder.

Total overreaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
      My sister was telling me that she'd taken the kids into Newquay to see the waves crashing in and she was met by a cordon of hi-viz yellow preventing anyone's ingress to the seafront. (how this worked if you happened to be a resident or business owner on the seafront, I don't know)

The majesty of the sea during a violent storm is, indeed, a sight to behold and my parents would take me down to Lyme as a child in similar meteorological conditions.

Part of growing up.

Yet another example of the ever lengthening tentacles of the cloying nanny state stifling our day to day activities.

Seriously, standing on the harbour wall would be pretty stupid but there's a very sturdy set of railings not to mention a tranche of beach separating you from the raging water. I mean, all you get is drenched in some very fine spray - nothing with the force that could suck a child under the railings and be carried out into the raging blue yonder.

Total overreaction.
      Loads of nice places around Newquay where the bods in yellow won't be there to stop people. Should have told her to go to Whipsiderry. Love going fishing on the beach down there, have to watch the incoming tide though if you venture east to the better bass marks, very easy to get cut off. The steps on the way back up after a night fish are a killer though!

The storms down there have been amazing. Looks like my favourite beach has been denuded though - fingers crossed the sand will come back:
      Praa Sands now looks more like Praa Pebbles as storm washes away the beach | This is Cornwall

And quite why I am joining in a conversation between two sockies is beyond me

Comment

Part of growing up.

Total overreaction.
        I think you're underestimating how severe the storms have been. We also used to go and watch storms but these are not the kind you are safe from behind the railing. Houses are being knocked down, sea defences are collapsing, waves are several feet deep on the road. And even then, you might argue all these things can be avoided with common sense - although you can't really guess how far a wave will rush - however rocks are thrown hundreds of feet. You could be standing completely out of sight of the sea and get clobbered. I've seen these things happen, places that look totally safe are not.

I know of people who are living in boats in a totally enclosed wet dock - safe right? Nope, the waves were big enough to break over the top of the surrounding buildings and drop rocks, breaking windows.

I sympathise with your "common sense" position but these are emergency conditions, not typical winter storms. If sea walls are being washed away and protected inner harbours being destroyed, the normal boundaries are not safe. I lived a few miles away from Porthleven for a decade and this is FAR worse than anything in that time. The safety brigade could be legitimately worried that the 'safe' ground itself could collapse under your feet.

By your logic, the Dawlish line would be safe as it has a beach and a wall and never got washed away like this before... you've seen the pictures right?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
          So, out I went in the teeth of a 70mph gale.

I'm near Burnham on Sea so I thought it would be a laugh to have a gander at the sea front. Amazed I ever got there because I literally almost came to a standstill the wind was so strong.
          Didn't you see all the news reporters on the seafront broadcasting items about the authorities warning everyone not to go there?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
            Didn't you see all the news reporters on the seafront broadcasting items about the authorities warning everyone not to go there?
            Maybe that's why he went!?

Anyhow, Burnham's the Bristol Channel - not quite exposed to the full force of the Atlantic like Newquay.

And, Dougie, point duly noted. Let's just hope it doesn't become habitual when we have any old gale blowing .

Comment

I'm jealous I'm not in Cornwall for the biggest storms in ages... I'd have been down there like a shot but this is seriously dangerous rather than "ooh you might graze your knee". When the fishermen get caught out, it's time to be extremely cautious

I'm sure I've seen police out in similar cases when I was just a little kid, as well and that was a couple of decades ago so there is precedent.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Never mind the railway lines - is Zoiderman/OH okay?

Comment

Maybe that's why he went!?

Anyhow, Burnham's the Bristol Channel - not quite exposed to the full force of the Atlantic like Newquay.

And, Dougie, point duly noted. Let's just hope it doesn't become habitual when we have any old gale blowing .
                  A 3 year old boy was washed away at Burnham a couple of years back when conditions were bad but nowhere near what we've been experiencing recently, the hi-vis brigade are there because some people really can't appreciate how powerful the sea can be.

Burnham isn't exactly sheltered, the Bristol channel is 15 miles wide at that point.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    A 3 year old boy was washed away at Burnham a couple of years back when conditions were bad but nowhere near what we've been experiencing recently, the hi-vis brigade are there because some people really can't appreciate how powerful the sea can be.

Burnham isn't exactly sheltered, the Bristol channel is 15 miles wide at that point.
                    Yesh, I remember the incident.

I seem to recall he was washed off the slipway from which they launch boats so there would have been nothing to stop him from gitting swept away.

I can't imagine there's much added danger in walking down the prom at Burnham in the current conditions.

Comment

Working...
                    X