• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poll: Who is to blame for the floods?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    It looks to me like a combination of things

EA - parking ground for failed politicians and quangocrats
    EA - deliberate policy of allowing 'low value' areas to flood
    EA - Allowing green groups to have a big say in policy (WWF)
    Gov - Not keeping an eye on the ball, allowing the quango to mushroom
    Met Office - Warning Somerset to expect a dry winter due to 'climate change'
    Smith - for being useless at everything except having chins
    Treasury - for concocting a stupid 'value for money' rule (possibly - not verified yet)
    EU - for imposing stupid limitations and rules on the EA
    Wasn't one this Govt's pledges to do away with all the quangos?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Lefty warmists at the EA
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        This is not a survey in the Wail
        you don't think a large increase of inhabitants in the area could have had an effect?

it was rather tongue in cheek but if you are that closed mind you should think more.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          it was rather tongue in cheek but if you are that closed mind you should think more.
          I know it was, as was my tongue in cheek response

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            Lefty warmists at the EA
            SKYNews
            Climate Change 'To Blame' For Storms
            Updated: 9:46am UK, Sunday 09 February 2014

Climate change is almost certainly to blame for the severe weather that has caused chaos across Britain in recent weeks, the Met Office's chief scientist has said.

Dame Julia Slingo said there was not yet "definitive proof" but that "all the evidence" pointed to a role for the phenomenon.

The Met Office's latest analysis finds that persistent rainfall over Indonesia and the tropical West Pacific triggered the weather system that has sent wave after wave of storms across the Atlantic to the UK.

It says: "The severe weather in the UK coincided with exceptionally cold weather in Canada and the USA.

"These extreme weather events on both sides of the Atlantic were linked to a persistent pattern of perturbations to the jet stream over the Pacific Ocean and North America.

Comment

The sun (as in the shiny object in space, not the newspaper)?

Comment

SKYNews
                Yes well done. They predicted a dry winter, using their brilliant computer models.

now they are explaining why we had lots of rain and flooding.

another organisation where we think we know what they are supposed to be doing, but are left wondering 'what actual use are they ?'
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  you don't think a large increase of inhabitants in the area could have had an effect?

If the gov - local and national - allow building on flood plains then yes it does have an effect.

I know because some of the now flooded areas aren't far from me but if you look at the news pictures work out how new some of the houses are.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

SKYNews
                    To go with the whole quote, slingo came up with the WEAKEST argument I have heard in my puff:-

Originally posted by somebintwhoshouldknowbetter
                    "There is no evidence to counter the basic premise that a warmer world will lead to more intense daily and hourly rain events."
                    me, me, me, it's raining so I'm right...

there is also no evidence to refute that this has happened loads of times before, and will happen loads of times again. IT DOESN'T ******* PROVE ANYTHING.

stupid cow*

*actually, she's not stupid, but she should know better than this

Comment

Interesting reading. Truthful?

Inside the Environment Agency - Welcome to Inside the Environment Agency

They should have asked where all the £1200 million spent last year went. Why was only £20 m spent on maintaining ditches and culverts? Why so little on dredging? Why have dredging machines been sold off for scrap or allowed to rust without use in some places? Why did the INCREASE in the staff budget, £30m, exceed the total spend on essential maintenance
                      ouch.

Comment

Working...
                      X