• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coffee grinders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Did you keep it in rubber sealed container in fridge?

Nope I have a vacuum packer and reseal it.

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    BGG & I probably drink too much coffee, but due to consumption levels we justified on of these <linky>

So much easier, grinds the quantity needed at the touch of a button & makes the coffee, it has a lot of user viable setting so you can get the taste you like
    I toyed with the idea of getting one of the deLonghi machines, but considering I'm the only one who drinks coffee in the house and when at work it's only once or twice a week, it seemed a ridiculous expense for myself. Not to mention the amount of space it will take up.

I only use a cafetiere, so no need for complicated grinding settings.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      I toyed with the idea of getting one of the deLonghi machines, but considering I'm the only one who drinks coffee in the house and when at work it's only once or twice a week, it seemed a ridiculous expense for myself. Not to mention the amount of space it will take up.

I only use a cafetiere, so no need for complicated grinding settings.
      I found when I had a machine I drank a *lot* more coffee, probably more than was healthy. The ritual of making it is addictive.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

JTC Omniblend
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

We have a delongi bean to cup - was always a tea drinker, but the wife insisted.. I am now a convert. But agreed, I definitely tend to drink lots more coffee now.

The cost (very pricey I thought) was offset by the low cost of the beans for us, instead for getting a capsule machine, but as you are already using beans guess that wouldn't be the same for you of course.

Comment

Have always ground my own beans.

My mother had a set of coffee making apparatus that looked like something off the set of Breaking Bad. There were a number of funnels and flasks that the black stuff would run through on it's journey to the cup.

Believe it was made by Cona. Don't know if They're still around.

Ive still got the original MK grinder dating from c.1970 and it still works!

Would be innerested to know if you can get grinders that grade the grind according to what method one is going to use to make the coffee be it stove pot, percolator or whatever.

For the record, I always buy beans and my bean of choice is Santos and Java from Whittards. I always get a kilo for £25 or so but, because I'm buying so much, I normally get a discount or some kind of freebie thrown in.

Once the pack is open, I stick enough for a couple of days in an airtight container and the rest goes in the freezer.
            Last edited by Gittins Gal; 13 February 2014, 10:29.

Comment

Marco Arment, co-founder of Tumblr and founder of Instapaper (among other endeavours), is renowned for his obsession with perfect coffee, even going so far as to roast beans at home. He recommended a couple of grinders, along with other coffee-related stuff, in his blog post about Christmas gifts: Gift/Product Recommendations That I've Actually Used For At Least A Year – Marco.org

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                I found when I had a machine I drank a *lot* more coffee, probably more than was healthy. The ritual of making it is addictive.
                I only ever drink one cup a day.

Cup of tea first thing and then normally a cup of coffee when I get into work or late morning if at home.

So a pack of 250g beans will last me 2-3 weeks.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                  Would be innerested to know if you can get grinders that grade the grind according to what method one is going to use to make the coffee be it stove pot, percolator or whatever.
                  @GG - Burr Grinders are what you should use for coffee, as opposed to blade grinders. The reasoning is that the blade grinder rotate at such a high speed, that they generate a lot of heat, which causes the volatiles in the coffee oil to be released and evaporate, and can give the coffee a burned taste. Ceramic Burrs work on the principle of low rotational speed and high pressure, which doesn't generate sufficient heat for the volatiles to waste off.

Ceramic burrs also allow the grind to be fine enough to use in Espresso machines and are adjustable for the grind, depending on your requirements - ie French Press grind is pretty coarse, whilst Espresso is (can be) more powder-like.
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

How do you like your coffee?

The internet is getting too weird for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                      @GG - Burr Grinders are what you should use for coffee, as opposed to blade grinders. The reasoning is that the blade grinder rotate at such a high speed, that they generate a lot of heat, which causes the volatiles in the coffee oil to be released and evaporate, and can give the coffee a burned taste. Ceramic Burrs work on the principle of low rotational speed and high pressure, which doesn't generate sufficient heat for the volatiles to waste off.

Ceramic burrs also allow the grind to be fine enough to use in Espresso machines and are adjustable for the grind, depending on your requirements - ie French Press grind is pretty coarse, whilst Espresso is (can be) more powder-like.
                      Thanyou. Very informative post.

Comment

Working...
                      X