• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Americans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Americans

Off to my favourite pizza / iTalian restaurant tonight for a takeaway. Whilst waiting an American couple got chatting with me.

So your from... 'his brow appeared tempered, with a slight perspiration glinting in the moody yet buzzing Friday night restaurant light. His lady friend abide looked on with very white teeth on display and a constipated appearance as she waited for her partner's question to be received'.... Ireland.

I said NO!! What is it with Americans who can't tell the difference between a Scottish & Irish accent. So I explained to them how to tell an Irish accent. I says to them in the future ask the person 'What is the answer to 100 / 3' to which I replied '33.3' and an Irish person would say: Thirrty Tree and n turd.

All was then understood.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Off to my favourite pizza / iTalian restaurant tonight for a takeaway. Whilst waiting an American couple got chatting with me.

So your from... 'his brow appeared tempered, with a slight perspiration glinting in the moody yet buzzing Friday night restaurant light. His lady friend abide looked on with very white teeth on display and a constipated appearance as she waited for her partner's question to be received'.... Ireland.

I said NO!! What is it with Americans who can't tell the difference between a Scottish & Irish accent. So I explained to them how to tell an Irish accent. I says to them in the future ask the person 'What is the answer to 100 / 3' to which I replied '33.3' and an Irish person would say: Thirrty Tree and n turd.

All was then understood.
    So Irish people are smarter? I'm not sure that's true.

Also, why can they pronounce the "th" in thirty but not in three or third?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      So Irish people are smarter? I'm not sure that's true.

Also, why can they pronounce the "th" in thirty but not in three or third?
      Yep we get that with the 3 filthy dog-owners around here
      they take them down to the disused railway
      and we end up with a dirty tree and a turd
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I said NO!! What is it with Americans who can't tell the difference between a Scottish & Irish accent.
        American/Irish/Scotch - isn't it all just a lot of people who can't quite speak English?

Comment

I struggle to tell the difference between them too, at times, as well as between these accents and several northern ones. If you're not accustomed to them it's easier to confuse them.

It's pretty funny to hear people confuse mine for an Aussie or Kiwi accent, too.

Comment

My Dad still has a strong Canadian accent, despite living here for over 30 years.

We went to Florida when I was a kid and people kept asking if he were Irish.

Comment

All was then understood.
              Would we??

You obviously don't know how to tell an Irish accent either, dearie!
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                You obviously don't know how to tell an Irish accent either, dearie!
                I think he's still struggling to distinguish arse and elbow.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  I think he's still struggling to distinguish arse and elbow.
                  Or in his case Arsch und Ellbogen
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
                    American/Irish/Scotch - isn't it all just a lot of people who can't quite speak English?
                    Punctuation please!
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X