• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good place to use for work in central London? Quiet coffee shops? Libraries?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good place to use for work in central London? Quiet coffee shops? Libraries?

I'm working remotely and normally from home, but sometimes I'd like to go somewhere in the evening in central London(meets friends etc) To get there from home is an extra 1,5 h, so I'd rather work from some coffee shop all day from the morning( from approx 9am till 6pm approx). I connect via some client's VPN portal& then remote desktop to access my dev environment
    Any recommendation? Some public libraries can help maybe? Can there be any connection issues with public places?
    Last edited by Goggy; 18 February 2014, 15:20.

PCG member?

https://www.pcg.org.uk/flexible-workspace

Comment

Any good?

https://www.pcg.org.uk/news-events/i...ce-freelancers

You are a member right?

Malvolio

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        Any good?

https://www.pcg.org.uk/news-events/i...ce-freelancers

You are a member right?

Malvolio
        Wow that's great! Exactly what's needed! But they are 4 days a month only, right?
        Any other ideas in case I'd exceed 4 days?

Comment

I go to the library room in the whisky society when in central London. Complete with open fire. Membership is about £80 a year.

London Members' Room
          19 Greville Street
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            I go to the library room in the whisky society when in central London. Complete with open fire. Membership is about £80 a year.

London Members' Room
            19 Greville Street
            They are open 12pm - 11 pm, right? or the library opens earlier?
            I like the idea =)

Comment

Originally posted by Goggy View Post
              They are open 12pm - 11 pm, right? or the library opens earlier?
              I like the idea =)
              Yes, not before 12pm. I also use the rooms as a meeting place for clients, terrific atmosphere and quiet given the location. Although I have the PCG offices available to me I find the colour grey not to be my kind of business.

And of course if you're ever up in Edinburgh you have access to the society's town house with unique room/s on every floor.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I usually rent some space from some people I know.

Shoreditch Office Space. Welcome to the Hoxton Mix. Your space to create.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

London Members' Room
                  19 Greville Street
                  Kudos for that - Could come in handy if I ever move out of London

Another similar possibility is the ESU (English Speaking Union) in Mayfair (Charles Street, off Berkeley Square)

Open from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, and annual membership again about £80 per annum (less in certain categories such as old timers).

In the 60s they used to have rooms upstairs where people could stay, like a hotel, but I think those have long gone. There's still a restaurant though, and of course loads of sandwich bars and suchlike in the vicinity.

The snag is few central London clubs have their own car parking facilities these days.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Haven't tried this myself yet.

BBC News - Pay-per-minute cafe opens

Comment

Working...
                    X