• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strong play made for feckless numtpy of the week award

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
    Most people verify with someone already on the train if unsure.
    Bleep bleep bleep <doors close>

Excuse me is this the Cambridge train?

<train edges out of the station>

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Front of the train is a mile away from where I enter the platform. It is 8 cars. To "jog" to the front, check the signage and jog to the nearest door would have meant I would miss the train. In this instance not a bad thing it turns out but I wasn't to know that.

How about, if the driver knew the train was running late, before closing the doors announced internally on the train which train it was and give a few seconds for others that were confused to vacate the train?

Why does the CUK panel have to immediately take the stance of everybody else is right and Suity is wrong?
      the other trick I use is to poke my head through the door and ask the other passengers is this train going to X if I'm unsure.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        Experience?
        Nice try. The award stays with the station announcer. Need to up your game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bryson
          The platform televisions weren't working and I couldn't understand the announcements - it took me ages to work out that 'Eczema' was actually Exmouth - so every time a train came in, I had to get up and make enquiries. For reasons that elude rational explanation, British Rail always puts the destinations on the front of the train, which would be awfully handy if passengers were waiting on the tracks, but not perhaps ideal for those boarding it from the side. Most of the other passengers evidently couldn't hear the announcements because when the Barnstaple train eventually came in, half a dozen of us formed a patient queue beside a BR employee and asked him if this was the Barnstaple train.

For the benefit of foreign readers, I should explain that there is a certain ritual involved in this. Even though you have heard the conductor tell the person ahead of you that this is the Barnstaple train, you still have to say, 'Excuse me, is this the Barnstaple train?' When he acknowledges that the large linear object three feet to your right is indeed the Barnstaple train, you have to point to it and say, 'This one?' Then when you board the train you must additionally ask the carriage generally, 'Excuse me, is this the Barnstaple train?' to which most people will say that they think it is, except for one man with a lot of parcels who will get a panicked look and hurriedly gather up his things and get off.

You should always take his seat since you will generally find that he has left behind a folded newspaper and an uneaten bar of chocolate, and possibly a nice pair of sheepskin gloves.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Comment

Hang on a minute, its only Monday. You've still got another 4 1/2 days to really give this award :-)
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Hang on a minute, its only Monday. You've still got another 4 1/2 days to really claim this award :-)
                FTFY

Comment

Try turning up on time, lest that way you'll hear the announcer and have time to check the train.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Try turning up on time, lest that way you'll hear the announcer and have time to check the train.
                    Great advice. Do you have a forumla for estimating the spikes in journey time from Luton to Hitchin so this can be brought into effect?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      Great advice. Do you have a forumla for estimating the spikes in journey time from Luton to Hitchin so this can be brought into effect?
                      Leave an hour before your normal time. Sorted.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X