• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sushi for lunch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sushi for lunch?

Just fancy it. Is it good for me? Better google that one.

Why sushi is good for you | Mail Online

Avaliable in every High Street food store, and a lunchtime favourite among office workers, sushi could be providing more than a tasty lunch.
    Scientists believe it is one of the reasons why the Japanese are among the most healthy people in the world. On average, the Japanese diet - raw fish, vegetables and rice - contains only 30pc fat, most of it the healthier polyunsaturated variety, compared with 40pc in Britain.
    As a result, their rates of heart disease are among the lowest in the world. Recently, scientists in Japan found that sushi dishes - flavoured parcels of rice with raw fish and vegetables - could even protect smokers against lung cancer.
    Phew. It is good for me.

Sushi - the raw truth | Mail Online

"If you eat a meal of salmon sushi more than twice a year, you will increase your risk of cancer," says Professor David Carpenter, an environmental health scientist at the University at Albany, New York.
    Oh tulipe, Sushi's bad for me.

Hang on a mo, that's the same newspaper
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

The Japanese and Koreans have among the highest incidence of stomach cancer in the world.

Personally I tend to avoid the supermarket / pret / wasabi etc. My rule of thumb is that anywhere that doesn't sell mackerel doesn't really qualify as a sushi restaurant.

Smaller fish tend to contain less concentrated pollutants as well, so I usually go for mackerel, sea bass, yellowtail, squid, octopus, omelette and "inari" which are these sweet little tofu packets. Most salmon you get here is farmed and quite fatty, not really to my taste. Tuna I do like but I tend to steer clear of because of it being at the top of the food chain. If you can find locally sourced stuff that's often good too, I found a place in Bath that did Cornish Mackerel and Turbot for example, that was pretty good.

Obviously this has done me no good whatsoever....
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

How anyone outside Japan can be conned into paying a fortune for a small blob of cold rice and sliver of raw fish wrapped in a seaweed sheet is beyond me.

I know they seem to be obsessed with perfection be it bento boxes http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16069217 or fruit BBC News - Japan's obsession with perfect fruit but we shold stick to our kebabs and pasties.

Comment

When in doubt you can consult the Daily Mail Oncology Ontology Report:

The Daily Mail Oncological Ontology Project | Logging Daily Mail Cancer Bollocks (now defunct)

The (New) Daily Mail Oncological Ontology Project

and Kill or Cure which maintains a handy alphabetical list:
        Kill or cure?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          When in doubt you can consult the Daily Mail Oncology Ontology Report:

The Daily Mail Oncological Ontology Project | Logging Daily Mail Cancer Bollocks (now defunct)

The (New) Daily Mail Oncological Ontology Project

and Kill or Cure which maintains a handy alphabetical list:
          Kill or cure?
          Link fail. Sushi not listed in A-Z of final link.

HTH
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
          X