• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Osborne said to face £20bn black hole in Budget

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should be legally required to have Employer NIC on payslips.

Totally revenue neutral but it will give better appreciation to workforce how heavy the real tax is.

Comment

What about scrap corporation tax and personal NI, and increase employer NI accordingly? Has the added advantage of removing the profit-offshoring thing.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'd be happy if the govt. ditched the business rates - essentially a large tax for doing business from premises. What do I get in return for paying this? very little. Will I be looking to stay here...nope. I plan to move things home.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

If you run a proper business from home, you are still potentially liable for rates.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            What about scrap corporation tax and personal NI, and increase employer NI accordingly? Has the added advantage of removing the profit-offshoring thing.
            It would result in jobs being more expensive in UK and therefore result in business moving them.

Employer NIC is nonsense - employers already provide jobs that result in tax paid, crazy to penalise them for doing it - it should be moved to personal taxation.

Any PAYE tax paid by employments should be offset against Corp tax, so those companies who hire people that actually end up paying tax would get recognised for it - after that having workforce would not be viewed as pure "cost" to business.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
              He might as well go have a piss in the wind if all he is considering is to rename it, as if that'd make the slightest difference to anyone. It's something the OTS has been banging on about for years now, though, so who knows perhaps he will listen at some point.
              Apparently this is the first step to merging NI and income tax. Anything to avoid headlines of increasing the basic rate by about 11p overnight.

Yes people are that stupid to realise its really the same amount of tax

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                Apparently this is the first step to merging NI and income tax. Anything to avoid headlines of increasing the basic rate by about 11p overnight. Yes people are that stupid to realise its really the same amount of tax
                It's not a bad thing for people to realise tax they pay is very high, so even if Govt increases it when merging it's ok - voters will have power to vote those who'd pledge to cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                  Apparently this is the first step to merging NI and income tax. Anything to avoid headlines of increasing the basic rate by about 11p overnight.

Yes people are that stupid to realise its really the same amount of tax
                  I think they'd struggle to keep it at its current rate and still pretend to be a low tax party, particularly when it's transparent how much tax is paid on income earned. Subject to whatever allowances the OTS has in mind, I like its suggestion best. The awkward bit will be the "and here's why we've been lying to you all these years..." Not that that will be worded just so, they [the govt] are quite skilled at polishing turds, but that would be the more pertinent thing for someone who's been in the dark as to how personal tax works to ask.

I wonder if Clegg still remembers this.
                  Last edited by Zero Liability; 7 March 2014, 19:23.

Comment

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
                    Couldn't he just print more money, then have huge tax cuts to bribe the electorate and then when Labour get in they'll be stuck with the mess
                    This

Exactly what I thought.

For years I wondered where all the money in the city comes from. Now I realize its just all numbers on a computer.

I always thought the IB was a zero sum game. Now I realize both sides win.

I hear some people are trying to get their mortgages cancelled as the money never existed. I wish them well.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      I always thought the IB was a zero sum game. Now I realize both sides win.
                      One side is the Investment Bank, and who is the loser?

Comment

Working...
                      X