• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Barnyard vol. CCXIX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Barnyard vol. CCXIX

Desperately busy today; if there're any typos in this lot, I'll have to fix them later
    • If WWI was a bar fight… - "Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of a pub when Serbia bumps into Austria and spills Austria's pint." And it's all downhill from there.

• The Alzheimer’s enigma - "The cause of Alzheimer’s disease has troubled the science world’s best detectives. Michael Regnier asks: can such a mystery really be solved if we gather enough clues?"

• Hating Daylight Saving - "Daylight Saving was first tried in the US during WWI. It was adopted nationally for one year, in 1918, and then repealed... It’s always been paraded a round as a measure to save energy, but it’s always been nothing more than an effort to benefit some industries by rigging the clock in their favor." I always suspected there was somebody making money out of it

• Flying the world's fastest plane: Behind the stick of the SR-71 - Great interview with a former Blackbird pilot: "You'd light up the afterburner right after that first refueling, and take it to full power for the next hour. That's pretty amazing, because no other plane can fly in full afterburner continuously. All other planes have either a three minute limit, or five minute limit on that, but you'd be going at full afterburner for an hour, hour and a half."

• Is That Someone's House? What Astronauts Can See Looking Down - And a bit further up even than the Blackbird: "In 2002 or 2003, American astronaut Don Pettit figured out a way to snap still images of nighttime cities, even as the International Space Station was moving at about 17,500 miles per hour... The brightest spot on Earth, Pettit guesses, is in Las Vegas, the famous "Strip'" — with lights so strong, astronauts could make out specific beams of green, blue and red."

• A Soft Murmur - This needs a modern browser that supports HTML5 Audio APIs, and allows you to create a mix of ambient sounds that play directly through your browser, soothing away the harsh cries of the permies

• Video: 50 Cent dubbed over Jehovah's Witnesses trying to get deaf people to stop masturbating - Nothing to add to that.

• Hotel hermit got $17M to make way for 15 Central Park West - "In 2004, developers Will and Arthur Zeckendorf bought the famed Mayflower Hotel and several adjacent lots on the Upper West Side for just over $400 million, with the goal of creating the city’s most exclusive residential building — 15 Central Park West. Only one thing stood in their way: A 73-year-old recluse named Herb Sukenik, who refused to move from the hotel." More of that weird business of people living in hotels in NY.

• Mechanical Engineering Marvel Resurfaces - " If the sea never gives up the secrets of the deep, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) is considered to be even pricklier. But 44 years after what may have been the Cold War's boldest, most audacious mission, new details have emerged about an incredible intelligence operation that depended on an engineering marvel. The Glomar Explorer, a custom-built spy ship fitted with a series of mechanical systems one more impressive than the next, in 1968 sailed to a remote spot in the central Pacific Ocean to recover a sunken Soviet submarine, the K-129, fitted with atomic missiles from three miles below the surface."

• Things Said To Or About My Adopted Daughters - Proof, if any were required, that some people are utter gits:

Happy invoicing!

comments on the adopted children this one made me laugh :

Wheeling my year-old Korean twin girls through the shopping mall, a woman looked at my wife and I, both Caucasian, and asked "Are you going to tell them they're adopted?" I replied "I think they'll know..."
    Its sad some people find it so difficult to love kids regardless.

Mrs V being a child minder gets every shade to look out, we get some great looks when we go out with seven kids in varying colours, its like being Brangelina.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      [*]Things Said To Or About My Adopted Daughters - Proof, if any were required, that some people are utter gits:

That could make anyone feel rather grumpy.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        That could make anyone feel rather grumpy.
        Pretty sure there was a CUKer who insisted you couldn't love children you weren't a biological parent of, in the same way as those you were.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Pretty sure there was a CUKer who insisted you couldn't love children you weren't a biological parent of, in the same way as those you were.
          There are quite a few people around who say that - then you ask if they had adopted children, long term fostered children or had stepchildren they knew since toddlers, and then they start ranting....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            There are quite a few people around who say that - then you ask if they had adopted children, long term fostered children or had stepchildren they knew since toddlers, and then they start ranting....
            That's the one!

Comment

DOH! Another thread resurrected by Zeity!

I thought a lot of those links looked familiar.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
              X