• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another EU ban for the list

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    The original is behind a paywall: EU Bans Sock-Puppet Blogs - Slashdot
    Now that sounds like a sensible rule to me.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
      That only seems to run riot on wasteland.

The butterflies love it though. We have one in the garden and it was a veritable kaleidoscope of colour last summer with all the red admirals, painted ladies and peacocks going about their business.

They're not indigenous though so they could be another one on the list.
      Buddleia is (are ?! ) as tough as old boots - They'll sprout out of cracks in concrete miles from the nearest open soil, and even grow half way up walls given a chance.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

There are already laws on invasive species, which they're tightening up because it's becoming a huge problem.

For example

Japanese knotweed invasion is halting house sales as buyers are denied mortgages on blighted properties | Mail Online

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...l-9120292.html

...and there is no such thing as an "EU Inspector". The UK have their own inspectors which go after invasive species.

I doubt there will be a ban on Rhododendrums in the UK, and the EU consultative document doesn't say anything about it, but then it wouldn 't make good reading would it, if the journalist was accurate.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 12 March 2014, 17:59.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Damn, more bans:

To date, the EU has banned 1,100 chemicals in cosmetics; the Food and Drug Administration in America has banned only ten. In fact, Cover Girl waterproof mascara contains the same ingredient (petroleum distillates, an oil by-product) as Dr. Scholl’s Wart Remover—both of which are illegal in Europe.
          So ladies, if you want to put wart remover on your face, you'll need to go to the USA
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Buddleia is (are ?! ) as tough as old boots - They'll sprout out of cracks in concrete miles from the nearest open soil, and even grow half way up walls given a chance.
            Network Rail spend loads of money removing them and other weeds from near their tracks.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What is this continual crap about Japanese Knotweed? Unless you dig it up and throw the bits around it does not spread at all. Simple to get rid of too. Just pull out the shoots whenever you see them. In 2 or 3 years it's gone. Try doing that with damn brambles. Horsetail is a much more damaging plant for drives etc.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                What is this continual crap about Japanese Knotweed? Unless you dig it up and throw the bits around it does not spread at all. Simple to get rid of too. Just pull out the shoots whenever you see them. In 2 or 3 years it's gone. Try doing that with damn brambles. Horsetail is a much more damaging plant for drives etc.
                Try buying a house with the stuff in the garden...

Comment

The butterflies love it though. We have one in the garden and it was a veritable kaleidoscope of colour last summer with all the red admirals, painted ladies and peacocks going about their business.

They're not indigenous though so they could be another one on the list.
                  Let me dig out my Norfolk pic

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Let me dig out my Norfolk pic
                    Red Admirals

A Peacock too (same bush)

Comment

Erm, you missed one...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=small+tortoishell
                      Last edited by RetSet; 12 March 2014, 21:45.

Comment

Working...
                      X