• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Removing a squatter from my reserved train seat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Another elegant solution.
    It's a Welsh valley negotiating strategy ... pretty much the only one.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
      Indeed, virgin trains are the worst for this, half the time when I get on at euston the seat reservations haven't downloaded and one has no idea whether the seat is reserved or not, should be first come first served IMO.

Oh and if he was a bishop why wasn't he in first class, with the tens of billions the catholic church is sitting on surely that's standard?
      If I remember correctly in the circumstances where the seat reservations are not showing then, according to their own staff, its a free for all.
      Last edited by Spacecadet; 19 March 2014, 20:15.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        In that case the train company has let you down. I wouldnt give up the seat if it wasn't ticketed, as I could have found one which wasn't ticketed if it had been done.
        Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        The only time it's happened to me before there was space in first class, so I went there and when the ticket guy kicked off I explained the situation, plainly refused and said that he's more than welcome to invite a police officer on board. None showed up. Train company got 2 fares and 1 happy customer and one slightly irritated customer.
        The only way it could have been better is if they got 2 fares, and two happy customers.
        So you did give up the seat?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          So you did give up the seat?
          When there was empty space, yes. It's only when there is no space that there's a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I think you can expect a visit from the church police.
            NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANI........ Oops, sorry, wrong Church.

As you were.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Your airplane seat doesn't tell you who it's reserved for, you rely on your ticket.

You're lucky that most people are too British to do much. One day some burly fat drunk will be delighted to have a reason to lift you out of the seat when invited to do so... MarillionFan for instance
              FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                If I remember correctly in the circumstances where the seat reservations are not showing then, according to their own staff, its a free for all.
                Thats if there is a problem with the system, quite a few times they just haven't downloaded before they start letting people on, I just always sit in the unreserved coach now regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  If you travel on trains frequently you'll see reserved seats are frequently not used - you get to the station the reservation is from and nobody appears.

People buy multiple tickets in advance and don't use them, or get on and grab the first empty, unreserved seat. If the train is busy you might as well sit anywhere until asked to move, rather than stand the whole journey.
                  Train I catch every day has half the carriage reserved normally. I'd say about 5% of those reservations seem to be used - the train is half empty.

One thing that pisses me off. Carriage has got 5 people in it. I get a nice 4 seater table to myself. Someone gets on and is determined to have their reserved seat next to me and squashes in. FFS the trains empty. In the past I have got up and moved to an empty seat.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Yeah, but then they don't want to get caught out finding they have sat in someone else's reserved seat.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X