• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Removing a squatter from my reserved train seat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing a squatter from my reserved train seat

True story..

I reserve a seat on my morning train because the service is so packed it is usually standing room only.
    If I don't reserve a seat I'd be waiting all day for a train where I can sit down. My commute is already over 1hr 45mins on a good day so I don't have the time to hang around like that.

9/10 times the crush of people boarding the train, combined with an already packed carriage means that I have to elbow myself past the rabble to get to my seat, but then there's always somebody chancing it and sitting in it hoping I never turn up.

So after the discomfort of getting to the seat, there's always my grimacing delivery of "sorry but seat 23 is mine". I show them the reservation card and they eventually get up looking at me with scowling eyes.

This week took the biscuit. It wasn't a pregnant woman, old person, or disabled person, but a man of faith.

I thought the guy looked fairly well dressed for a Vicar. He apologised and stood up smiling, but I thought nothing more of it once he was standing in the aisle pressed up against the sweaty commuters staring into their iPhones.

When I told my wife about it in the evening, she stood in shock when I described he was oldish, mostly bald, wearing a purple dog collar, and a large golden crucifix

She started going through Google images and I very quickly identified him.
    He is only a Bishop! A fairly prominent one too that I'm convinced was on his way to the House of Lords.

Am I doomed? a marked man?... you know.. up there? <points>

You are going straight to hell!
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

He got to be righteous and you got to sit down. What's the problem?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I forgot to say that the stupid train company forgot to put the reserved tickets in the back of the seat.

But I was absolutely sure it was the right train, right carriage, and right seat.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
          I forgot to say that the stupid train company forgot to put the reserved tickets in the back of the seat.

But I was absolutely sure it was the right train, right carriage, and right seat.
          You are really going to hell now!!
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            He got to be righteous and you got to sit down. What's the problem?
            He forgave me too, that makes me feel worse

Comment

A Bishop ?

you realise if you get promoted twice, you get to be under-assistant-reserve-IT-Sub-Manager

if he gets promoted twice, he is God Almighty

you are dooommmed
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

If you can't afford first class might I suggest a woofter seat in the inter carriage area may be the best place to spend your journey?

In case of non availability of the aforementioned facility, you could do as I do and invest in a self inflating chair.

The commotion caused by the sound of rushing air when you pull the cord on the suspicious looking pack you've been carrying is guaranteed to clear a space big enough for you to set up camp in comfort.

Comment

It'll be fine, bishops are noted for their sense of humour and fair play...

Comment

Was it the (Baby eating) Biship of Bath & Wells?
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X