• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budget gives HMRC power to raid bank accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Keep cash in safety deposit box then, or some foreign bank where they'll need a court order.

That if you got something to hide.
    the point is you don't need to have anything to hide, I suspect it will be a case of withdraw money first and then they lie to cover it up and refuse to pay for their actions.

Having had 3-4 different coding notices in a week, I'm sadly aware HMRC don't do competent.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      I'll remind you of that when Hector decides you are tax evoiding individual that needs an empty bank account.
      Hey vetran, you should sell that 'evoid' to HMRC as a word for 'avoid aggressively', blurring the line between avoid and evade.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Hey vetran, you should sell that 'evoid' to HMRC as a word for 'avoid aggressively', blurring the line between avoid and evade.
        I'm actually surprised they haven't used it, they have been trying to blur the line for years.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          So at what point can they take the money?
          When they think you owe it to the or when they convince a judge in a fair trial?
          If I remember my tax law, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, a HMRC calculation of tax owed is a legally valid notice of debt. The interpretations given to the new policy are that HMRC will be able to go after debtor's money without further notice. If my interpretation of this is correct then in extreme cases HMRC could send you a debt letter by first class post on Monday and then empty your accounts on Tuesday because the deemed delivery of a notice is one day for a first class letter. Have fun hiring a lawyer or accountant to fight the case when you've only £5000 to play with.

Comment

Working...
          X