• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows in Bathroom Doors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows in Bathroom Doors

My old granny had a small rectangular window above the door to her bathroom. Not a particularly rare phenomenon as I believe this is a fairly common feature in bathrooms up and down the country.

What I find odd about it is just why would one have a window all the way up there? In the case of my my old granny's bungalow it was certainly not to let in any light from the gloomy corridor onto which the door opened.

Insofar as my own life experience has been influenced by such vitreous installations, I can only deduce that their sole purpose is to encourage the Peeping Tom that lurks within us all.

Indeed, the fact that one needs a step ladder to lay eyes on whatever's going on through the window had me looking at the laburnum tree in next door's front garden in a completely new light altogether. Though I never really recovered from being party to old Mrs Knee experimenting with her health aids one moonlit summer's evening.

Anyway, I was mindful of all this the other day when Malc and I were enjoying a mid winter break on a rail tour of Pakistan. We were in a restaurant and I needed to avail myself of the facilities after having imbibed a rancid mango lassi the previous evening. Now, I won't go into detail but I walked into the cloakroom and was immediately whisked back to my youth when I noticed that the door to the cubicle contained a window. Not atop the door but about half way up - in other words, at about eye level for the toilet wallah who was skulking about nearby. Not wishing to be observed in this most private of moments, I flicked off the light switch and felt my way over to the installation and closed the door. And at the very moment of unpleasantness, the scene was flooded with brilliant light as the wallah flicked the switch, presses his face against the glass and enquired about my well being.

A traumatising experience I can assure you. These subcontinental fellows really have no concept of personal space.

Though not as bad as the time I got caught out by one of those lavatories that use a timer. To chivvy people along, the owner of the establishment had reworked the wiring so that, instead of the light going out after a fixed period of time, the door sprang open instead. And this was in a country where there was no requirement about having an intermediate door between the dining area and the lavatory.
    Last edited by gricerboy; 25 March 2014, 13:49.

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post

What I find odd about it is just why would one have a window all the way up there? In the case of my my old granny's bungalow it was certainly not to let in any light from the gloomy corridor onto which the door opened.

Insofar as my own life experience has been influenced by such vitreous installations, I can only deduce that their sole purpose is to encourage the Peeping Tom that lurks within us all.
    I'd guess it is more likely intended to allow a bit of steam condensation, when the owner can't afford floor to ceiling marble (like my bathroom )

Also one can see at a glance from a distance when the light is on and the bathroom thus in use.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
      Though not as bad as the time I got caught out by one of those lavatories that use a timer. To chivvy people along, the owner of the establishment had reworked the wiring so that, instead of the light going out after a fixed period of time, the door sprang open instead. And this was in a country where there was no requirement about having an intermediate door between the dining area and the lavatory.
      seriously?

Comment

I'll have to tell the landlord of my local about that.

It's by the A36 & He can't stand people just stopping off to use the bogs in his pub without purchasing anything or even asking him. Some of them, especially the women, the cheeky mares, even grab a handful of paper serviettes from the bar on the way out.

Talking about a sense of entitlement!

Yes, I think the timer should be controllable so that when likely suspects approach, the door can be set to spring open after as much time as it takes them to get their cacks round their ankles.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Also one can see at a glance from a distance when the light is on and the bathroom thus in use.
          WHS

You can't see anything through frosted glass.

If the glass is plain then the property owner is a cheapskate.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The glass sole purpose is to let light in – at that height it’s not a privacy concern.

Either that or it’s a construction detail, as its not brick or partition above the door you don’t need a lintel, (can be expensive) so you either do a window frame & ply filler or a little glass window which does not look as cheap & tacky as a ply panel.
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
              seriously?
              No not really. It's all made up. HTH

Comment

If you fly first class you often have access to a bathroom with a window. But not a window in the door.
                Not that I ever fly first class mind

Comment

Working...
                X