• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting my mum up to speed with computers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I went through this (painful) experience with a parent - key point I would suggest is install a remote desktop so you can see what they are typing as it is a completely new language to them and trying to convey / understand over a telephone call is frustrating gto both parties - think this will preclude a tablet though

HTH
    If you want to be a 24 hour support service. The most important thing it that you do the set up but your sibling does the support.

Comment

I went through this (painful) experience with a parent - key point I would suggest is install a remote desktop so you can see what they are typing and discover things about your parents you didn't really want to know.
      ftfy
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        If you want to be a 24 hour support service. The most important thing it that you do the set up but your sibling does the support.
        He dodged that by being only an Apple user...
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

He dodged that by being only an Apple user...
          My mum thinks I work in computers, but my VAT FRS category says otherwise. My brother is a 'proper' computer person.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Put her in contact with Suity's mum. She's all over the web.
            That websites not registered yet.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I always tell people who want a computer/laptop/tablet of that kind of age, or anyone with little experience get yourself down to your local library and get on a course, their normally taught by people with a bit of patience and you can work at your own speed, they can pick up the basics and then they will have more confidence with their own equipment. and they get to go out and mix with other people, much better than you spending your time teachine them. "this is a mouse" "this is a keyboard"

Comment

Working...
              X