• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gym Beast

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gym Beast

It has been a while since I've posted about my woes in the gym, largely because my comings and goings in that area have been blissfully uneventful but the status quo has now been shattered by the recent arrival of a fitness nut who seems to spend every waking hour subjecting himself to the rigours of physical exercise of some form or another.

In fact he spends so much time keeping fit that he possesses that sense of entitlement that such folks tend to have and woe betide anyone who gets in his way.

Just the other evening I was taking a breather between reps on the leg extender (very good for my water on the knee) and a slap on the shoulder followed by a "Hey bud, let's circulate!" made me jump out of my skin. Well, apparently it's not the done thing to take a breather to recover between each set. One is to spring straight to one's feet and jog to the next set of apparatus according to this character who introduced himself as Jim and then proceeded to tell me he spends so much time in the gym that he's started spelling his name with a 'G'.

A couple of days later he was at it again. I was halfway through a particularly vigorous session on the rowing machine when there was a flurry of activity off my starboard bow as Gym decided to hook his feet under my rowing machine and started performing a set of sit ups, almost tipping me over each time he pulled himself up from the supine position.

And it's not just the gym with which he indulges his obsession. Anywhere where there is some form of physical activity going on he'll be there.

Just the other day I walked past the playing field where the boys were warming-up for their match and there he was in among them performing a set of burpees.

I thought I'd seen it all until leaving the tennis club after my real tennis lesson last night. There was a ballet class going on in the sports hall and, would you believe it, there at the end of the line of schoolgirls in their little pink tutus, was Gym stood "en pointe" doing some kind of "I'm a little teapot" routine.

I can't help wondering whether I should notify the police?
    Last edited by gricerboy; 27 March 2014, 11:56.

Meh.

3/10 Not your worst effort but you've had better.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Meh.

3/10 Not your worst effort but you've had better.
      Merely reporting life as it happens Pondy...

Comment

He sounds annoying, drop a dumbbell on his foot

Comment

Isn't there a poster called Gym Beast?

Mods! Mods! I thought using a poster's name in a thread title was strictly verboten

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
            It has been a while since I've posted about my woes in the gym, largely because my comings and goings in that area have been blissfully uneventful but the status quo has now been shattered by the recent arrival of a fitness nut who seems to spend every waking hour subjecting himself to the rigours of physical exercise of some form or another.

In fact he spends so much time keeping fit that he possesses that sense of entitlement that such folks tend to have and woe betide anyone who gets in his way.

Just the other evening I was taking a breather between reps on the leg extender (very good for my water on the knee) and a slap on the shoulder followed by a "Hey bud, let's circulate!" made me jump out of my skin. Well, apparently it's not the done thing to take a breather to recover between each set. One is to spring straight to one's feet and jog to the next set of apparatus according to this character who introduced himself as Jim and then proceeded to tell me he spends so much time in the gym that he's started spelling his name with a 'G'.

A couple of days later he was at it again. I was halfway through a particularly vigorous session on the rowing machine when there was a flurry of activity off my starboard bow as Gym decided to hook his feet under my rowing machine and started performing a set of sit ups, almost tipping me over each time he pulled himself up from the supine position.

And it's not just the gym with which he indulges his obsession. Anywhere where there is some form of physical activity going on he'll be there.

Just the other day I walked past the playing field where the boys were warming-up for their match and there he was in among them performing a set of burpees.

I thought I'd seen it all until leaving the tennis club after my real tennis lesson last night. There was a ballet class going on in the sports hall and, would you believe it, there at the end of the line of schoolgirls in their little pink tutus, was Gym stood "en pointe" doing some kind of "I'm a little teapot" routine.

You've pulled, Gricer!
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Joking aside, in many gyms it is seen as good manners to offer to share a machine with someone who's waiting if you're taking rests between sets.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Joking aside, in many gyms it is seen as good manners to offer to share a machine with someone who's waiting if you're taking rests between sets.
                Just think how many Handy Andies I'd get through!

I always like to give my equipment a good rubdown beforehand.

Think I'll stick to my current routine of doing my reps in one go with breathers in between. That way I can get away with just the one wipe.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
                  there at the end of the line of schoolgirls in their little pink tutus, was Gym stood "en pointe" doing some kind of "I'm a little teapot" routine.

I think you probably should. Especially if he was using what I think he was using as the spout. And especially if that was "en pointe", as you put it.

Comment

Hi Gricer!

I've found with Gym Beasts that they are mostly driven by fear of losing their fitness if they don't give their throbbing muscles a tough workout every day. Some go further - they feel inadequate if they can't do it by following their carefully planned routines.

I used to be a little like that with my own athletic pursuits, but at least I had competitions to peak for. Just doing it immoderately for its own sake is possibly a psychological disorder.

Of course, your chap might be the sort with a purpose, thrusting himself into regular sporting action or working as a male model where a toned, attractive body is de rigeur. If so, then cutting him a little slack might be neighbourly.

If you get the chance to share social intercourse with the chap perhaps you could probe him.

Comment

Working...
                    X