• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War Horse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War Horse

Just watched it. Wish I hadn't bothered. Tedious...

Why was it so popular?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Did you watch the right one?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Why was it so popular?
      An inneresting fact: my virtual FIL was an extra in it. Some of it was filmed in Castle Combe near Chipp'num, you see.

He told me that Wenedicct Clumberbatch was shocking at knowing his lines. Ii havent seen it yet,, have only fast forwarded tgrough it to see FIL.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
        An inneresting fact: my virtual FIL was an extra in it. Some of it was filmed in Castle Combe near Chipp'num, you see.

He told me that Wenedicct Clumberbatch was shocking at knowing his lines. Ii havent seen it yet,, have only fast forwarded tgrough it to see FIL.
        Are you on crack?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          Are you on crack?
          Hmmm... inneresting

Comment

What people dont realise, is that a horse will not run into a human being. It goes against every instinct they have.

In ancient times, many armies used horses, obviously. They also used 'charges', where one group of soldiers would rush at another. the idea was to smash them and make them run.
            There were infantry charges, elephant charges , chariot charges, camelry charges, but no cavalry charges.
            In those days, if cavalry rushed at the enemy, they were spread out and designed to rush into gaps, not knock people over.
            Even Alexander, with his big units of heavy cavalry, did not expect them to smash head first into a big infantry formation. The horses just would not do it.

Some ancients did have the odd unit of fully armoured horsemen, and they were getting close to the warhorse idea, they were called caterphractii.
            But it was the stirrup and the couched lance that changed everything.
            All of a sudden there was the chance that horsemen could smash headfirst into an infantry block and shatter it.
            But that needed horse paraphenalia, armour, training and warhorses.
            A horse that would run into a bloke, and fight him.

So the film might be sh!te, but the feeling behind it is sound
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
              An inneresting fact: my virtual FIL...
              I know there's a lot of CGI in film today, but to make an entire person, who can produce offspring that you can marry seems a little OTT.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Agree. Rubbish film.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Not seen the film, but I took my elder daughter to watch the NT live performance in the cinema last month and thought it was brilliant.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Seen both stage and film version. The film was OK in my view, but the stage show is brilliant!
                    Beer
                    is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X