• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should she stay, or should she go now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    The court this case was being appealed at is a long way below the ones that create precedent.

I really do worry about the general knowledge of many people on this site.... Especially when you think the people here are more intelligent than the general public

No wonder people believe those tax scams....
    The injunction is being applied for in the high court. Not sure why you think this is below other courts?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      The injunction is being applied for in the high court. Not sure why you think this is below other courts?
      which part of precedent have you not quite grasped. The high court doesn't set precedent, as its decisions do not bind others.....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

which part of precedent have you not quite grasped. The high court doesn't set precedent, as its decisions do not bind others.....
        Which part of obiter dicta do you not understand?

Courts may consider obiter dicta in opinions of higher courts. Dicta of a higher court, though not binding, will often be persuasive to lower courts.
        The obiter dicta is usually translated as "other things said", but due to the high number of judges and several personal decisions, it is often hard to distinguish from the ratio decidendi (reason for the decision).
        For this reason, the obiter dicta may usually be taken into consideration.

Comment

Which part of obiter dicta do you not understand?
          The high court is however the first stop for these injunctions...... As such there is nothing binding lower courts and anything binding is only the case if they are 100% identical (which they will never be)...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The high court is however the first stop for these injunctions...... As such there is nothing binding lower courts and anything binding is only the case if they are 100% identical (which they will never be)...
            so Ober Dicta is pointless, I'll tell the Law Society.

I agree its probably a stretch, but even if it doesn't go anywhere it gives a clever lawyer a reason to hold up deportation for months in a similar case and garner support.

Comment

so Ober Dicta is pointless, I'll tell the Law Society.

I agree its probably a stretch, but even if it doesn't go anywhere it gives a clever lawyer a reason to hold up deportation for months in a similar case and garner support.
              Does anyone know whether an injunction can create a precedent? I thought a court case sets a precedent, whereas an injunction is a court order.

But I really don't know a great deal about the law so if anyone can advise, it would be interesting to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Does anyone know whether an injunction can create a precedent? I thought a court case sets a precedent, whereas an injunction is a court order.

But I really don't know a great deal about the law so if anyone can advise, it would be interesting to know.
                +1

Comment

Well she went...

BBC News - Student Yashika Bageerathi deported to Mauritius
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    She did indeed.

I'm now waiting for some criminal of a similar age who is on benefits and who has no hope for the future being given the right to remain.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X