• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overtaking on a slip road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overtaking on a slip road

Driving to work this morning I over took a car on the right hand side of a slip road onto a dual carridgeway as the car was going very slowly. A police car was right behind the car I over took and then proceeded to follow me for a while (assuming he was checking my details). He didnt pull me over and proceeded to wag his finger at me as he drove behind me.

I assume that this means my actions were not to his approval but this action is not illegal as he would have pulled me over? He just passed me after a while and got off at the next junction without blues and two's so wasnt going to a call. I've googled it but cant see anything specific that says you cant do this.....

If there are two lanes, the right hand one is for overtaking and that's that. But, without being there it's hard to say - perhaps you exceeded the speed limit or he felt you left it too close to the merge?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      If there are two lanes, the right hand one is for overtaking and that's that. But, without being there it's hard to say - perhaps you exceeded the speed limit or he felt you left it too close to the merge?
      Yep there was 2 lanes...

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
        Yep there was 2 lanes...
        Last time the old man got nicked, it was for going up the wrong way.

Comment

What would be the point of 2 lanes if you can't? If you created a convoy by staying behind slow cars it would be more of a problem and more dangerous getting onto the motorway/DC.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You can undertake if the speed of traffic is naturally faster in the inside lane or if the left lane is part of a different road (ISTR there is another reason too but cannot remember it).
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              You can undertake if the speed of traffic is naturally faster in the inside lane or if the left lane is part of a different road (ISTR there is another reason too but cannot remember it).
              <bzzzzz> deviation
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sometimes coppers just don't like being overtaken, as if you're not respecting their AUTHORITAH!

Slowly caught up with and passed 2 police cars a while back when I was in the left hand lane, doing 70 and they were in single file in the right hand lane doing 65. Apparently "You don't overtake police cars!".

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  I.e. there is no such thing as 'undertaking'. Only potential for dangerous driving.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    Sometimes coppers just don't like being overtaken, as if you're not respecting their AUTHORITAH!

Slowly caught up with and passed 2 police cars a while back when I was in the left hand lane, doing 70 and they were in single file in the right hand lane doing 65. Apparently "You don't overtake police cars!".
                    Off course you do.

You can even drive at 80mph pass them (on your inaccurate car speedo not any other device) and they don't stop you.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X