• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

secure, reliable uk vpn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

secure, reliable uk vpn

My current gig has me in non-english speaking countries most of the time so I'm looking for a way to watch my virgin tv package on my laptop. I've been looking at vpn services but I'm struggling to get independent reviews of security and reliability. Can anyone recommend a decent provider based on their own experience?

Originally posted by mediocre genius View Post
    My current gig has me in non-english speaking countries most of the time so I'm looking for a way to watch my virgin tv package on my laptop. I've been looking at vpn services but I'm struggling to get independent reviews of security and reliability. Can anyone recommend a decent provider based on their own experience?

There's always a Slingbox

It's not a VPN, but it does allow you to watch your TV pretty much anywhere. I've used one for years all over the place.
    Last edited by TykeMerc; 12 April 2014, 10:16.

Comment

Yeah I did wonder about the slingbox but it looks like the same channel is shown at home and remotely, which is no good as my wife and I have very different taste in tv! The virgin anywhere service lets us watch different shows at the same time, but you need to log in from a uk ip address.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        There's always a Slingbox

It's not a VPN, but it does allow you to watch your TV pretty much anywhere. I've used one for years all over the place.
        Agree Slingbox, but if you're several timezones apart.

I use https://www.my-private-network.co.uk an annual subscription, reliable much of the time. But I use it for all countries not just the UK, like when following the tennis or football.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mediocre genius View Post
          Yeah I did wonder about the slingbox but it looks like the same channel is shown at home and remotely, which is no good as my wife and I have very different taste in tv! The virgin anywhere service lets us watch different shows at the same time, but you need to log in from a uk ip address.

Ah yup, it's not a 2nd access route, it does remote control and display the box it's connected to. Unless you have 2 boxes it's not a viable solution.

Comment

Thanks scooterscot, that looks like exactly what i need.

yeah, thought so tykemerc. Worth looking into if we ever go multi room.

Comment

I use PureVPN to grab a UK IP when travelling or to watch US TV from home and it's been perfect. It's a couple of quid a month if you sign up for a year.

Matt

Comment

I've got an old Luton box van.

It's never let me down & the pikies have never got their hands on my tools.
                Last edited by zoco; 13 April 2014, 19:47.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
                  I've got an old Luton box van.

It's never let me down & the pikies have never got their hands on my tools.
                  Vpn not Van. Should have gone to specsavers!

Comment

Working...
                  X